Freyaroberts
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was doing work experience in a hospital over the weekend! I was watching a surgery and i wasnt squeemish at all, but for some reason i got hot, sweaty and felt dizzy! I asked to go and get some water and when i got to the fountain I fainted! Luckily nobody saw me but I just feel worried that its going to happen again on my second work experience and i dont want to feel embarrassed!!
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Freyaroberts)
So I was doing work experience in a hospital over the weekend! I was watching a surgery and i wasnt squeemish at all, but for some reason i got hot, sweaty and felt dizzy! I asked to go and get some water and when i got to the fountain I fainted! Luckily nobody saw me but I just feel worried that its going to happen again on my second work experience and i dont want to feel embarrassed!!
Don't worry about it.

Did you eat/drink properly in the morning/afternoon or were you standing up for a long time?

Also, don't worry about feeling embarrassed. I'm certain this happens a lot during medical work experiences.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 month ago
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
are you ok?
Freyaroberts
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Don't worry about it.

Did you eat/drink properly in the morning/afternoon or were you standing up for a long time?

Also, don't worry about feeling embarrassed. I'm certain this happens a lot during medical work experiences.
Well it was about 11am so a bit af an awkward time really! I think it was a mix of not drinking and the heat but it did worry me a little! Hope it doesnt happen again!!
Freyaroberts
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
are you ok?
Yes, well I think so anyway, if i’m being honest I dont really know how it happened all I know if that one second i was leaning on the water fountain and the next I was on the floor! It must have only lasted a couple of seconds because someone would have seen me!!
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well it was about 11am so a bit af an awkward time really! I think it was a mix of not drinking and the heat but it did worry me a little! Hope it doesnt happen again!!
I suggest you drink plenty of water whenever you can so you do not dehydrate.

It was probably just a one-off. You will be fine next time, I'm sure.

Hope you are feeling better.
username3477548
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, well I think so anyway, if i’m being honest I dont really know how it happened all I know if that one second i was leaning on the water fountain and the next I was on the floor! It must have only lasted a couple of seconds because someone would have seen me!!
aw ok, glad you're alright
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't worry. It's warm as hell, even I've been feeling off. Bring a bottle of water next time and you'll be all good.
Freyaroberts
Rep:
?
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I suggest you drink plenty of water whenever you can so you do not dehydrate.

It was probably just a one-off. You will be fine next time, I'm sure.

Hope you are feeling better.
hope it was a one-off!! Thanks for the help!!
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This same exact thing happened when I did work experience, it wasn't even surgery it was just a bedside observation, I was hydrated, I had food, I was only standing for half an hour (I could easily withstand 8+ hours at a till in my retail jobs)

Yet I kept almost passing out. It was actually my first ever time experiencing it because I had been lucky not to have fainted before. It was very weird, it felt like a long blink and your head is on the table lol.
Personally for me, it happened a few times. They allowed me to take regular water breaks so it wasn't as intense. But by the end, I'm used to it now.

I'm an all around sickly person, digestion/absorption issues mean that I have general fatigue but I had never been that faint in another setting before o.O Just a weird coincidence maybe
Freyaroberts
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
This same exact thing happened when I did work experience, it wasn't even surgery it was just a bedside observation, I was hydrated, I had food, I was only standing for half an hour (I could easily withstand 8+ hours at a till in my retail jobs)

Yet I kept almost passing out. It was actually my first ever time experiencing it because I had been lucky not to have fainted before. It was very weird, it felt like a long blink and your head is on the table lol.
Personally for me, it happened a few times. They allowed me to take regular water breaks so it wasn't as intense. But by the end, I'm used to it now.

I'm an all around sickly person, digestion/absorption issues mean that I have general fatigue but I had never been that faint in another setting before o.O Just a weird coincidence maybe
Yeah i mean it was really weird because i do normally get blackouts most mornings due to getting up to quickly but it was really bizzare! I could feel myself hitting the floor but wasnt really processing it! I really hope it doesnt happen again!! Just feel a little embarrassed thats all!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I fainted on my first day of work experience in A&E. Several of my fellow students while at med school fainted at some point. It's really not that unusual, so don't worry about it. Key things are hydration (I do intermittent fasting so regularly do 20+ hours without food but always keep on top of fluids) and learning to recognise the feeling that you might be about to go, and either sitting down, doing calf squeezes or whatever works for you. Good luck tomorrow!
Letournel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most will certainly be used to it happening so i wouldn't worry about your second week.

I actually fainted during a case as part of my elective, woke up with the fellow holding my legs in the air.

As already mentioned usually a combination of tiredness/too warm/dehydrated/hungry. Easy remedied through ensuring adequate rest, eating well and drinking plenty. Similarly during cases theres no harm in shuffling/going onto tip toes to calf squeeze or simply sitting down for a few minutes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads