MSc Software Development at QUB

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi everyone, I've just finished my undergrad MSci in Physics at Queen's and hold an offer for the MSc Software Development course but have a few questions regarding it:

1. Would it be better to defer my offer for a year and self-teach myself some programming ahead of the course? I know some C and Python but nothing overly substantial

2. What are the hours like in the course, and are there generally lectures every day or are some days free?

The two questions are loosely related, as I'm mainly wondering whether or not I should defer for a year and teach myself a decent foundation in software development, or if there is enough time on the course for independent study to supplement the course as needed - thanks!
Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi everyone, I've just finished my undergrad MSci in Physics at Queen's and hold an offer for the MSc Software Development course but have a few questions regarding it:

1. Would it be better to defer my offer for a year and self-teach myself some programming ahead of the course? I know some C and Python but nothing overly substantial

2. What are the hours like in the course, and are there generally lectures every day or are some days free?

The two questions are loosely related, as I'm mainly wondering whether or not I should defer for a year and teach myself a decent foundation in software development, or if there is enough time on the course for independent study to supplement the course as needed - thanks!
Hi,

I'm really sorry I can't be any help with this, as none of the students on the chat to students page actually study software development. I hope someone gets back to you on here, but I would recommend talking to a member of staff from the course to ask these questions, as they'll definitely be able to help! (Neil Anderson is listed as the course director and I'm sure he would be happy to help, his email is [email protected]).

Thanks,
Emily, Team Queen's
KlarkDevlin
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
In fact, now this is a very promising direction. I have had experience working with an embedded software https://sirinsoftware.com/ company. In this area, smart professionals are always needed.
Last edited by KlarkDevlin; 9 months ago
snowhawk
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Apologies, I know this is late but hopefully for future reference this will help others.

1) No, the course is very much aimed at people with zero coding experience and frankly even if you've done a Physics degree with say some Matlab etc... you'll be light years ahead of everyone else on the course. There are people on the course who needed a visual guide on how to upload files 2 years ago lol. The starting point really is ground zero for this course and you soon get in to the swing of it.

2) If you do it part time lectures are normally twice a week, and full time it's 4 days, sometimes 5 depending on the semester.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.69%
The paper was reasonable (220)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads