Thezaman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am travelling to South Korea in July (before student finance loan in sept)
and I have to do a compulsory 2 week government quarantine which costs £1600. My flight ticket is around £800 and covered by the travel grant, but I dont have enough money to cover my 2 week quarantine. Is there any way the travel grant can over this quarantine cost or any other solution?

At the moment I cannot borrow the money from anyone and my overdraft will not cover the costs too..
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thezaman)
Hi,

and I have to do a compulsory 2 week government quarantine which costs £1600. My flight ticket is around £800 and covered by the travel grant, but I dont have enough money to cover my 2 week quarantine. Is there any way the travel grant can over this quarantine cost or any other solution?

At the moment I cannot borrow the money from anyone and my overdraft will not cover the costs too..
Hi,

Student finance do offer travel loans and grants; however, there is a criteria to fulfil to be eligible. The following link will take you to the student finance travel grant/loan webpage which covers eligibility and will hopefully answer your questions- https://www.gov.uk/travel-grants-students-england. If the website doesn't have the answers for you, you can contact student finance directly, those contact details can be found here- https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england.

I hope this helps
Loren Snowden
UoP student Ambassador
Thezaman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

Student finance do offer travel loans and grants; however, there is a criteria to fulfil to be eligible. The following link will take you to the student finance travel grant/loan webpage which covers eligibility and will hopefully answer your questions- https://www.gov.uk/travel-grants-students-england. If the website doesn't have the answers for you, you can contact student finance directly, those contact details can be found here- https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england.

I hope this helps
Loren Snowden
UoP student Ambassador
Thanks but I am eligible for the travel grant, my question was if it covers the costs of my 2 week cumpolsory government quarantine
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Thezaman)
Hi,

(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi,

I hope this helps
Loren Snowden
UoP student Ambassador
Hi, we don't cover quarantine costs.

Acceptable claims may include(as per our guidance) the following:

-To be eligible to claim 3 return journeys or equivalent (for example, 6 single journeys). The student will need to be in attendance at their overseas institution for at least 50% of 3 out of the 4 academic quarters (terms). If they don't meet this requirement they won't be eligible to be reimbursed for 3 return journeys.

-The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration

-Any necessary daily travel costs while abroad for the for the purposes of attending the institution

-Travel costs for the dependent children of a single student, where the students has to take children abroad with them

-Childcare abroad: Will only be paid if the childcare provider is approved by the Ministry of Defence’s accreditation scheme

-Travel costs associated with clinical training, where student is required to attend a hospital or other premises outside of their institution in the United Kingdom

-Mileage claims

-The cost of medical insurance purchased for the purpose of studying abroad (we would pay for full medical or health insurance provided by the host University as this can be a condition of acceptance for the student to attend). Please note students studying in a country with which the UK has reciprocal public health arrangements (usually within EU/EEA) can also claim for medical insurance for the purpose of studying abroad.

-40% of the cost of travel insurance premium, this must include medical coverage (we would pay this as the cost of medical cover), however we would not pay this in addition to mandatory medical insurance provided by the overseas University

-The cost of visas and medical tests where these are a mandatory condition of entry to the host country - this includes COVID 19 PCR tests required to enter host country and on return to UK. The cost of mandatory hotel quarantine cannot be claimed.

-The cost of any vaccinations required

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (360)
84.11%
No (68)
15.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed