Hmmm7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So basically I need a character reference for the course In uni I’ve applied to and non of my teachers are replying since college ended a while ago what do I do the deadlines on 30th July. Do I really need it ?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to ask your university this question directly and explain your problem.
They might be able to extend your deadline or suggest other suitable referees
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hmmm7)
So basically I need a character reference for the course In uni I’ve applied to and non of my teachers are replying since college ended a while ago what do I do the deadlines on 30th July. Do I really need it ?
You'll need at least one reference for nursing although some universities may ask for more than one reference okay.
The person who you ask must support your own submitted information.

Contact the university you applied for asap and ask them what you can do as it will only delay things if you can't provide one. They may give you a few more days too allow one to be sent to them. Don't delay things if you are going to university in September for to start nursing.
You are leaving it late to get one done in time...!!!

Who is a good character reference.

Consider asking a longtime friend, neighbor, mentor, coach, teacher or professor. You could also ask a familiar business contact. If you have experience volunteering, the volunteer coordinator or head of a charitable organization would be a good character reference

You can ask somebody who known you say all your life like a doctor, dentist, school teachers but you pointed out they closed.

( from the RCN - Royal college of nursing website )
Providing a reference for someone else
If you have been asked to provide a reference for someone else you need to clarify whether you are being asked to provide an employment reference or a character reference. Your employer may have strict policies in place regarding who can provide employment references and failure to follow these policies could result in disciplinary action being taken against you.

In almost all cases our members experience no problems when giving character references. Character references are an important way for new employers or investigating committees to gather evidence about somebody's character.

In law no one can be compelled to supply a character reference. However, registered nurses must follow the NMC Code, which requires registrants to cooperate with all investigations and audits.

If you do decide to provide a character reference you should be open and honest. In certain circumstances, people who give dishonest references can be sued for negligence. Any dishonest reference you give could also potentially lead to disciplinary action from your employer and, if you are a registered nurse, you may be reported to the NMC for investigation.
Hmmm7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey_W)
You'll need at least one reference for nursing although some universities may ask for more than one reference okay.
The person who you ask must support your own submitted information.

Contact the university you applied for asap and ask them what you can do as it will only delay things if you can't provide one. They may give you a few more days too allow one to be sent to them. Don't delay things if you are going to university in September for to start nursing.
You are leaving it late to get one done in time...!!!

Who is a good character reference.

Consider asking a longtime friend, neighbor, mentor, coach, teacher or professor. You could also ask a familiar business contact. If you have experience volunteering, the volunteer coordinator or head of a charitable organization would be a good character reference

You can ask somebody who known you say all your life like a doctor, dentist, school teachers but you pointed out they closed.

( from the RCN - Royal college of nursing website )
Providing a reference for someone else
If you have been asked to provide a reference for someone else you need to clarify whether you are being asked to provide an employment reference or a character reference. Your employer may have strict policies in place regarding who can provide employment references and failure to follow these policies could result in disciplinary action being taken against you.

In almost all cases our members experience no problems when giving character references. Character references are an important way for new employers or investigating committees to gather evidence about somebody's character.

In law no one can be compelled to supply a character reference. However, registered nurses must follow the NMC Code, which requires registrants to cooperate with all investigations and audits.

If you do decide to provide a character reference you should be open and honest. In certain circumstances, people who give dishonest references can be sued for negligence. Any dishonest reference you give could also potentially lead to disciplinary action from your employer and, if you are a registered nurse, you may be reported to the NMC for investigation.
If I call the uni how long do you think the extension would be? Because my teachers are the only ones who can give me a character reference and since they’re not responding I’m pretty sure they won’t until results day ?
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hmmm7)
If I call the uni how long do you think the extension would be? Because my teachers are the only ones who can give me a character reference and since they’re not responding I’m pretty sure they won’t until results day ?
You're not going to know until you speak to them. If you're not able to get a hold of anyone at your school until results day then it would be reasonable of them to give you until then or suggest another appropriate individual to ask for a reference. Have you been offered a place?
Hmmm7
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
You're not going to know until you speak to them. If you're not able to get a hold of anyone at your school until results day then it would be reasonable of them to give you until then or suggest another appropriate individual to ask for a reference. Have you been offered a place?
Yes I’ve been offered a place, and I don’t have anyone else to ask for a reference besides my teachers since it need to be from a professional but you’re right I should call them up and work it out, phone calls just make me anxious lol
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hmmm7)
Yes I’ve been offered a place, and I don’t have anyone else to ask for a reference besides my teachers since it need to be from a professional but you’re right I should call them up and work it out, phone calls just make me anxious lol
It should be ok then, explain your situation, they'll probably just leave your offer as conditional until they receive a reference (and any other outstanding bits like results, occy health DBS etc).
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hmmm7)
I would intend to agree with what moonkatt said on it as you won't know till you contact the university how much more time they will give you to submit your reference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.83%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed