pixiebugzie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,
I'm going into Year 13 next year and have to do my uni application / portfolio soon. However I want to go into illustration design but I am currently studying Graphic Design at Alevel (I changed subjects as my teachers had said that I would be accepted into the course as long as I had a creative subject and advised me to lean towards it due to it being digital rather than hand drawn).

However now I am looking to build my portfolio over the summer and I do have some projects from GSCEs, home life but for school work it's much more design projects than drawings, paintings or character designs. Will Univeristies still accept these kinds of work within my portfolio? Or would it better to not include them?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your portfolio isn’t everything you have - you can pick and choose work that best meets the guidelines for each course and university - and you can include independent work as well as coursework.

Have a look at the portfolio guidelines for the universities that you are thinking of applying to and work out if there’s anything you want to concentrate on in your free time
Escape Studios Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pixiebugzie)
Hi there,
I'm going into Year 13 next year and have to do my uni application / portfolio soon. However I want to go into illustration design but I am currently studying Graphic Design at Alevel (I changed subjects as my teachers had said that I would be accepted into the course as long as I had a creative subject and advised me to lean towards it due to it being digital rather than hand drawn).

However now I am looking to build my portfolio over the summer and I do have some projects from GSCEs, home life but for school work it's much more design projects than drawings, paintings or character designs. Will Univeristies still accept these kinds of work within my portfolio? Or would it better to not include them?
Hi pixiebugzie!

My name is Rohnak, and I am in my second year of university at Escape Studios. I was in a similar situation to you when first building my portfolio, as I had studied Graphic Design but was applying to a different creative field. When it comes to the portfolio, the most important thing to remember is that you need to demonstrate that you have the level of illustration ability that you're looking for. Universities definitely treat all work as equally valid, whether it was created as part of your A-Level, GCSE, or a personal project. All that matters to them is the skill demonstrated, and you'll most likely have the chance to explain a few pieces during interviews. The fact that you've created more relevant pieces in your spare time shows that you have commitment and passion for the subject! Take a look at the websites of the universities that you're interested in, since they probably explain what they expect in a portfolio (if not you could always email them), and try to tailor it to these requirements as much as you can.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask! Good luck.

-Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads