Hijikata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know that's a broad question, so allow me to clarify my situation, as well as specify my question.

I am a recent English Language graduate and have decided that I am going to pursue the journalism route instead of teaching. I am in my late 20's. As of now, I cannot afford to do a masters but would be willing to enrol on next year's programmes as I may be eligible for bursaries. In the meantime, I plan on working, preferably in a media-related job where I can hone my skills (technological/writing etc). Even if I do not land a media-related job, I plan on expanding my portfolio, in preparation for a masters/future role. I have written several articles for the student paper and have a personal blog, but nothing extensive.

As of now, I write every day (mainly journalling). The kind of journalism I want to get into is broadcast journalism, but more importantly, I want to communicate ideas and experiences that are associated with people going through unfavourable times. I want to write primarily about experiences and events associated with social work, barriers to good health, and politics. I would also like to commentate on social issues. I have been told that I have an excellent capacity for verbal speech so I want to monetise and make the most out of this talent. I am bilingual and currently learning another language.

To distil my earlier question into more specific components:
What activities should I be doing everyday in order to strengthen my portfolio?
As someone with no experience of using a camera, what is a good budget camera?
Is it worth creating a Youtube channel?
What kind of jobs should I be applying for?
Should I pursue voluntary roles?
Is it okay to accept a non-related journalism job while I expand my portfolio? The idea is that I will be learning a lot about the causes I care for in potential jobs, so at least I would be benefiting from knowledge. Just not practically.

And finally, I feel as if the skills in journalism are vast and I could easily be wasting my time by honing skills that aren't relevant/
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hijikata)
I know that's a broad question, so allow me to clarify my situation, as well as specify my question.

I am a recent English Language graduate and have decided that I am going to pursue the journalism route instead of teaching. I am in my late 20's. As of now, I cannot afford to do a masters but would be willing to enrol on next year's programmes as I may be eligible for bursaries. In the meantime, I plan on working, preferably in a media-related job where I can hone my skills (technological/writing etc). Even if I do not land a media-related job, I plan on expanding my portfolio, in preparation for a masters/future role. I have written several articles for the student paper and have a personal blog, but nothing extensive.

As of now, I write every day (mainly journalling). The kind of journalism I want to get into is broadcast journalism, but more importantly, I want to communicate ideas and experiences that are associated with people going through unfavourable times. I want to write primarily about experiences and events associated with social work, barriers to good health, and politics. I would also like to commentate on social issues. I have been told that I have an excellent capacity for verbal speech so I want to monetise and make the most out of this talent. I am bilingual and currently learning another language.

Is it okay to accept a non-related journalism job while I expand my portfolio? The idea is that I will be learning a lot about the causes I care for in potential jobs, so at least I would be benefiting from knowledge. Just not practically.

And finally, I feel as if the skills in journalism are vast and I could easily be wasting my time by honing skills that aren't relevant/
*be aware: I'm not a journalist*
1. What activities should I be doing everyday in order to strengthen my portfolio?
I think you've already got a good idea of writing daily in a journalistic style, to practise and engrave these skills in your mind. Do you read a wide range of articles too? I'd recommend finding a few papers, if you haven't already, that have got different political perspectives (e.g. The Guardian and The Sunday Times), and read the sections of these newspapers that you want to write for in the future. Pick out your favourite elements of those journalists writing. You can also see which journalists really catch your eye and keep you engaged as a reader.

2. As someone with no experience of using a camera, what is a good budget camera?
I don't know.

3. Is it worth creating a Youtube channel?
If you're as consistent with your YouTube videos as you are with your daily journalistic writing, then yes. A YouTube channel will spread your work across the globe to places and people you would've never dreamed of. You just need to be aware that it requires some techy know-how, and quite a lot of time and energy, especially in the beginning when you're getting yourself into the groove of it.

4. What kind of jobs should I be applying for?
Ones which you're qualified for or even over-qualified for. Ones which will provide you with great experience and connections in the field of journalism.

5. Should I pursue voluntary roles?
Yes, pursue voluntary roles. Especially look for voluntary roles in the large journalism companies, as what you're focussing on is making connections with people in power who, when they see your talent, will later give you opportunities and jobs.

6. Is it okay to accept a non-related journalism job while I expand my portfolio? The idea is that I will be learning a lot about the causes I care for in potential jobs, so at least I would be benefiting from knowledge. Just not practically.
It depends on what this "non-related journalism job" is really. Would working part-time on weekends in McDonald's really help your journalism portfolio? Probably not. However, if you started volunteering at a charity to do with health, that relates to one of the areas which you'd like to explore as a journalist. Also, I say working at McDonald's may not help you, however it would still give you transferrable skills which you could apply to your journalist work.
SlaveofAll
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
An internship should be your first start.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look out for apprenticeship and training roles at the main broadcasters.
Don’t rule out print as a way into broadcast journalism, print have increased their video content massively in the last few years and bylines on reports will always be helpful.
Likewise don’t rule out radio. There’s a huge range of work and opportunities available in radio that can be translated into tv. And on top of that there’s now the big podcast market.
mediastudentBU
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hijikata)

Hello Hijikata,

I am Tia, a final year BA (Hons) Communication and Media student at Bournemouth University (and my best friend studied the journalism course). Have you looked into the NCTJ qualifications? At Bournemouth we offer them as part of the degree however you can do them as an individual. Their website is here: https://www.nctj.com/ and they offer a range of different qualifications and services, plus they look really good on your CV if you have it.

I started my own YouTube to add to my portfolio and demonstrate I am confident in front of a camera, so if you have the time and dedication then it can't hurt having one!

I would have a look at internships or work experience, or even emailing companies to see if you can get some experience a couple days a week, it is likely this will be for free/a volunteer basis.

I hope this has helped a little bit, Tia
Juliadoeswork
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mediastudentBU)
Hello Hijikata,

I am Tia, a final year BA (Hons) Communication and Media student at Bournemouth University (and my best friend studied the journalism course). Have you looked into the NCTJ qualifications? At Bournemouth we offer them as part of the degree however you can do them as an individual. Their website is here: https://www.nctj.com/ and they offer a range of different qualifications and services, plus they look really good on your CV if you have it.

I started my own YouTube to add to my portfolio and demonstrate I am confident in front of a camera, so if you have the time and dedication then it can't hurt having one!

I would have a look at internships or work experience, or even emailing companies to see if you can get some experience a couple days a week, it is likely this will be for free/a volunteer basis.

I hope this has helped a little bit, Tia
Thank you. Im in sixth form and also want to become a broadcast journalist.
Juliadoeswork
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. I'm in sixth form and also want to become a broadcast journalist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads