OU Credits and transfer to brick uni?

Watch
PAD123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi everyone and sorry for asking something probably previously asked elsewhere. I was wondering what peoples experiences were like with the OU. I had considered taking an access course but realised their access courses are more level 2 and basic.

Unfortunately I never really achieved what I should have at school and only completed one year at college doing Public services so have no A levels. Looking at the OU it seems I can start a degree with them without said qualifications? I had contemplated doing an access to HE at a local college but the only downside to this being that I am now in my 30s and so 4 years of College then University may not be the best route for me.

I had hoped to study either Biology or Chemistry initially part time so effectively doing the first year through the OU over the course of two school years. My thinking was this would save me doing an access course and then a first year at a brick Uni with the hope of completing my second and third years at a brick Uni(This makes it financially a lot more viable for me) Does this seem possible? Just i've read before sometimes modules and things learned do vary a fair bit between them. One obvious one being that if you attend a Uni there will likely be a lot more practical work which will obviously not be present when distant learning through the OU. If this doesn't seem viable i could always consider taking on the last 2 years of study still at the OU full time if not.

Any one with any previous experience or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
OU credits Can be used as entry requirements but they’re not always accepted. Ie not all universities and not all degrees will accept them in place of standard entry requirements.
If you are planning on this I’d suggest emailing a few of the universities that you would be wanting to apply to in the future and asking the question of them.
I know of a few people who have done what you are planning, and some that have actually been granted entry to second year after doing their full level one at the OU -that depends on the degree though.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You also need to be aware regarding student loan entitlement when studying at the OU and switching to a brick uni. It is possible with some loop-holes. I'm doing a part-time Access course (previously studied at OU) in Physics and Maths I can advise you if you want? Can be done from anywhere in the UK as well due to Covid.
PAD123
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
OU credits Can be used as entry requirements but they’re not always accepted. Ie not all universities and not all degrees will accept them in place of standard entry requirements.
If you are planning on this I’d suggest emailing a few of the universities that you would be wanting to apply to in the future and asking the question of them.
I know of a few people who have done what you are planning, and some that have actually been granted entry to second year after doing their full level one at the OU -that depends on the degree though.
Thanks for the reply and you're right and I will send some emails out as I am pretty committed to staying where I am so that only leaves a handful of options if I was to explore this option

One problem I've encountered is the module begins with 2 60credit units. If I was to do the whole thing through the OU I am not sure exactly how it works. The first module starts twice a year(October and Feb) and the other module starts once per year in October. I had hoped to maybe start the once a year module first before begging the other one in Feb and having a few busy months when they cross over so effectively finishing the first year in a calendar year. The one problem I encountered with this option though is it seems the module I had planned on doing first is best followed on from the first module due to what you lean but it only starts once per year. Another strategy I looked at was doing the first module(60credits) to ease myself in and then second year taking the second module and a 30point module from the second year if it is possible to do it this way? Then the following year to complete the remaining 90 credits on level 2 before maybe taking a year out from my job or going part time to complete the final years full 120 credits so essentially gaining my degree over the course of 4 years. Does this sound like a plausible strategy?
PAD123
Rep:
?
(Original post by NovaeSci)
You also need to be aware regarding student loan entitlement when studying at the OU and switching to a brick uni. It is possible with some loop-holes. I'm doing a part-time Access course (previously studied at OU) in Physics and Maths I can advise you if you want? Can be done from anywhere in the UK as well due to Covid.
Thanks! I hadn't considered student loan yet fully because I am lucky enough to be in a position currently that I could afford the £3/6k for the opening two modules but obviously going forward I'd appreciate any information on taking student loans. It's obviously going to have some financial impact over the next few years of studying so I really appreciate that.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PAD123)
Thanks for the reply and you're right and I will send some emails out as I am pretty committed to staying where I am so that only leaves a handful of options if I was to explore this option

One problem I've encountered is the module begins with 2 60credit units. If I was to do the whole thing through the OU I am not sure exactly how it works. The first module starts twice a year(October and Feb) and the other module starts once per year in October. I had hoped to maybe start the once a year module first before begging the other one in Feb and having a few busy months when they cross over so effectively finishing the first year in a calendar year. The one problem I encountered with this option though is it seems the module I had planned on doing first is best followed on from the first module due to what you lean but it only starts once per year. Another strategy I looked at was doing the first module(60credits) to ease myself in and then second year taking the second module and a 30point module from the second year if it is possible to do it this way? Then the following year to complete the remaining 90 credits on level 2 before maybe taking a year out from my job or going part time to complete the final years full 120 credits so essentially gaining my degree over the course of 4 years. Does this sound like a plausible strategy?
If you do it over 4 years with the OU then that sounds perfectly plausible and is how many people do it.
You would get your full degree funded that way.

Whichever way round you do (brick or OU) it it will be 4 years until your finished your degree minimum anyway so best to have a think about whether you want to attend brick and get the more practical experience or continue working through your degree. You would be funded the tuition fees for the OU but not a maintenance loan. For a brick you would get both. (Presuming normal eligibility)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.74%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.95%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.76%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (43)
23.63%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.65%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.69%

Watched Threads