The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
I am in the same position as you but for Lancaster, I have tried everything from writing appeals, extenuating circumstances, etc. But they seem committed to giving me a 2:2, in spite of the fact that I have pretty valid reasons for underperforming in coursework as I was a frontline worker during a pandemic blagh, they just want to make my life as difficult as possible. Well I hope you have more luck than me.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
I agree here I have appealed and I’m waiting on a reply from my university, but there was a module that did not provide me any support at all. There was only one person who actually helped and supported me in my university course over my 3 years and that was my tutor, and no other help was given to me. I constantly asked for help especially in my final year and did not receive anything only help from one person that did not even know the module, so I was literally figuring it out all myself. Now knowing I have literally 1% for a 2.1. I’m waiting on what my university replies back with.
Original post by Hirsty97
I am in the same position as you but for Lancaster, I have tried everything from writing appeals, extenuating circumstances, etc. But they seem committed to giving me a 2:2, in spite of the fact that I have pretty valid reasons for underperforming in coursework as I was a frontline worker during a pandemic blagh, they just want to make my life as difficult as possible. Well I hope you have more luck than me.

I don't think being a frontline worker is a valid reason just because you weren't forced to work. It's a pretty weak extenuating circumstance which you had full control over and that's most likely why they just didn't accept it.
Normally universities have set procedures for reviewing candidates on the borderline of classifications, and they will probably have already gone through these and determined that after reviewing all the information in view of their policies, you were still at a 2:2 level rather than a 2:1. So it's very unlikely anything can be done to change this because the things that would've been done that might've resulted in it changing should have already occurred. Unless you have some procedural grounds to appeal on (e.g. you were supposed to have 3 hours for an exam for one module but were only given 2 hours or something) there probably isn't much you can do, since generally universities do not consider appeals on the basis of academic judgement (i.e. what mark you were given by an academic based on what you submitted) and only consider appeals on the basis of procedural issues (such as incorrect instructions being given).
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i received an average of 59% on my final year grade. Is there anyway or chance I am able to be bumped up to 60% 2.1 classification? This is because I am 1% away from achieving a 2.1 classification

Do you qualify for a 2.1 under these regulations:

https://qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/mod/book/view.php?id=1322479&chapterid=117492
Did you check out the Uni policy? I know some uni's have automatic promotions at 0.5% and "considerations" for 1-2%

Original post by ageshallnot
Do you qualify for a 2.1 under these regulations:

https://qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/mod/book/view.php?id=1322479&chapterid=117492

woah oops here it is then lol, right when I was typing XD
I don't think being a frontline worker is a valid reason just because you weren't forced to work. It's a pretty weak extenuating circumstance which you had full control over and that's most likely why they just didn't accept it.

I know. I am not proud of it. I never thought it would happen to me anyway never do I ask for extensions. Meanwhile I know plenty of people granted extensions for trivial reasons or whatever, because "pandemic"
I know. I am not proud of it. I never thought it would happen to me anyway never do I ask for extensions. Meanwhile I know plenty of people granted extensions for trivial reasons or whatever, because "pandemic"

Many people have used the pandemic to help them which you should have done to leverage it. A strong extenuating circumstance most likely would have gotten you a 2:1. It's **** for me to ultimately tell you to lie or exaggerate the truth but I can assure you, many people have done so (whether they got their appeal accepted, I'm not sure but at my university I know a few people that managed to get their 2:1 to a first and one person get their 2:2 to a 2:1 using the pandemic as an excuse). I know it's not your fault at all and I appreciate the work you've done during the pandemic! I hope you can move on from this if it does disadvantage you. Just remember that a degree is only important for your first few jobs and then it's all about experience.
Many people have used the pandemic to help them which you should have done to leverage it. A strong extenuating circumstance most likely would have gotten you a 2:1. It's **** for me to ultimately tell you to lie or exaggerate the truth but I can assure you, many people have done so (whether they got their appeal accepted, I'm not sure but at my university I know a few people that managed to get their 2:1 to a first and one person get their 2:2 to a 2:1 using the pandemic as an excuse). I know it's not your fault at all and I appreciate the work you've done during the pandemic! I hope you can move on from this if it does disadvantage you. Just remember that a degree is only important for your first few jobs and then it's all about experience.

yeah I know, I'm even trying to appeal again as I have nothing to lose. You are right, well a lot is my fault as I never really put 100% effort into my degree until my final exams which was too little too late. I know I can figure something out eventually, nevertheless I have regretted picking my degree for a while, I'd have been much more suited for business, finance, or management than economics.
yeah I know, I'm even trying to appeal again as I have nothing to lose. You are right, well a lot is my fault as I never really put 100% effort into my degree until my final exams which was too little too late. I know I can figure something out eventually, nevertheless I have regretted picking my degree for a while, I'd have been much more suited for business, finance, or management than economics.

Hi Mate did they change anything for you?

Latest

Trending

Trending