The Student Room Group

Personal statements

Hello, I'm unsure how to start my personal statement, anyone got some advice?
Reply 1
Hello :smile:
Introduction for personal statement is really difficult to start writing first. What I did was start writing my work experience and extra curricular first. In the introduction, I wrote mainly why I want to do this course and my first interests in this career. Also, if there are any challenges in the career such as long hours or working under pressure, you can try to say that you are prepared and know about these challenges.
Try to look at examples online about your course.
Also, start by writing how you would normally write without fancy language because then it is going to take less time to write a first draft. You can then proceed to use thesaurus or add fancy language and do not be afraid to go over the limit in the drafts. Once you have reached the best piece try to remove the words to fit the limit.
Original post by EmilyB236

Just start off with "I want to study SUBJECT because" for your first draft. You can change it later if you want but staring at a blank page isn't good
Original post by EmilyB236

Hi Emily. I'm not sure on your subject area, although this was a video we put together for people looking for a Law degree. Depending on your subject area, there will be something of help here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlnekG2-PmQ
Start with 'I decided I wanted to study xxxx at University WHEN........' and think/write about what it was, something you read, a topic in class, a documentary etc etc. What was it that made you decide this - and why.

Then write two chunky paragraphs that show your academic interest in the subject, not about A level course work topics, but stuff beyond that/higher level than that. 'I read .... and that motivated me to find out more about ......', 'This interested me because.....' etc etc.

Short final paragraph - interesting other stuff you do that you can link to personal qualities (not just a list of hobbies), and 'I look forward to all the opportunities and challenges that being at University will bring' or similar. Job done.

Quick Reply

Latest