Should I study a law degree or philosophy degree with ambitions to go into Soliciting

Watch
tommadden
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am a year 13 student, currently bending my mind over the UCAS applications. Whilst writing my personal statement, I have been advised to choose one course, not two nor two different courses.
I wanted to study the science of Biology at university, but have overall concluded that I should perceive a law career, with a stark interest in debating and the understanding of alternative opinions which differ to that of my own.

As mentioned above, I am trying to think about my future; the career I want to undertake and whether it is a sensible dedication of my time. I'm studying English Lit. (A-Level), Mathematics (A-Level) and Biology (A-Level). With an EPQ on the title, "Is the UK's current stance on 'right to die' hypocritical" where I delved into the realm of moral ethics and bioethical topics -summing my interests together in one project. I have looked at Universities' undergraduate degrees such as Biological sciences or Law but with statistics suggesting that being a lawyer is a difficult and competitive career choice, I fear that my chances of success are mere and small.

Any advice or links to blogs which may ease the choice of possible degrees are much appreciated
Last edited by tommadden; 2 months ago
Faith.A
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You don't need either degree to sell your body 😂
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
you know that you can become a solicitor with a biology degree, right? i'm a bit confused tho; 'debating' has nothing to do with studying a law degree nor has anything to do with working as a solicitor. lawyering is an office job: filing applications, going through legal procedure. it's very systematic and literally no debating so you may find it incredibly boring. or have i misunderstood you?
tommadden
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
you know that you can become a solicitor with a biology degree, right? i'm a bit confused tho; 'debating' has nothing to do with studying a law degree nor has anything to do with working as a solicitor. lawyering is an office job: filing applications, going through legal procedure. it's very systematic and literally no debating so you may find it incredibly boring. or have i misunderstood you?
No you haven't misunderstood! I was suggested law by multiple people about debating and so shares your confusion. I'm having a career talk with some solicitors so hopefully it'll help
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The "debating" angle probably comes more from the perception of the work barristers do, which is wholly separate to the work solicitors do. However I gather even characterizing the advocacy barristers do as "debating" or comparing it to that is somewhat reductive and inaccurate so....

In any case you can become a solicitor or barrister with any first degree, either doing the SQE (solicitors) or a GDL course (barristers). If you aren't 100% convinced by law doing another degree first and then getting work experience (vacation schemes or mini pupillages) during your degree would be the best option. Besides which, having a scientific degree might be a small asset in some areas of law (although I think this is overblown sometimes on TSR).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
15.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
26.19%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.38%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (9)
7.14%

Watched Threads