mll1995xo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello All,

I am hoping to start Midwifery at Bradford University next year and was wondering if anyone knew about the placement hours?

Are we expected to be on placement over christmas (christmas eve/day/new years) or do we tend to have these off?

I've heard mixed things from students, some saying you have two weeks off over the christmas period etc and some saying you are expected to work, we don't have timetables yet and I'm just curious as I want to go away if possible.

Thank you
Last edited by mll1995xo; 1 month ago
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mll1995xo)
Hello All,

I am hoping to start Midwifery at Bradford University next year and was wondering if anyone knew about the placement hours?

Are we expected to be on placement over christmas (christmas eve/day/new years) or do we tend to have these off?

I've heard mixed things from students, some saying you have two weeks off over the christmas period etc and some saying you are expected to work, we don't have timetables yet and I'm just curious as I want to go away if possible.

Thank you
Placements hours are 37.5 hours a week approx you must work in, universities studies are similar hours per week as you probably in between 8.30/9am to 4.30/5pm ( 7.25 hours a day you do ) some universities may do slightly longer hours with half day Friday say but every university are different .

working in nursing ( regardless which field it is ) is a 24/7 job, I think majority of English hospitals works various split shifts with ( example - 6am - 2pm / 2pm - 10pm & 10pm - 6am nightshift doing five out of seven days. ) or long shifts of 12.5/13 hours both nightshifts/dayshift & weekends ). - they may be different from what I said ok. But long hours shifts are correct.

I am a dual adult nurse & midwife with NHS Scotland and all our nursing staff works a constant 12 hours shifts but only 3 days a week as only qualified last year as midwife via the 20 months top-up course for any qualified nurses who wanted to do this.
If you want more information on midwifing then you can PM message Tracey_W as she been a qualified midwife for couple years.
Only staff that really work sort of 8/9am - 6pm Monday to Fridays are outpatient department & GP community nursing staff.

As a student nurse you don't get any holidays in summer time like as you were at college or school & certain universities courses,

You get your holiday time at end of each term which is probably around Xmas/new year & easter & end of academic year plus any days of for exams & reading weeks. ( these are generally gaunantee for students nursing staff )

Yes you may have to work over your holidays but highly unlikely to happen ok so don't listen to rumours till you get your timetable when you start your course.
But as a qualified nurse you will be expected to work over festive period as everyone can't have it of at same time as babies can't wait till staff come back.
You generally rotated on to work one or the other festive period weeks but you'll get the opposite following year...

Best of luck with your upcoming midwife course and hope you enjoy it xxx
mll1995xo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Placements hours are 37.5 hours a week approx you must work in, universities studies are similar hours per week as you probably in between 8.30/9am to 4.30/5pm ( 7.25 hours a day you do ) some universities may do slightly longer hours with half day Friday say but every university are different .

working in nursing ( regardless which field it is ) is a 24/7 job, I think majority of English hospitals works various split shifts with ( example - 6am - 2pm / 2pm - 10pm & 10pm - 6am nightshift doing five out of seven days. ) or long shifts of 12.5/13 hours both nightshifts/dayshift & weekends ). - they may be different from what I said ok. But long hours shifts are correct.

I am a dual adult nurse & midwife with NHS Scotland and all our nursing staff works a constant 12 hours shifts but only 3 days a week as only qualified last year as midwife via the 20 months top-up course for any qualified nurses who wanted to do this.
If you want more information on midwifing then you can PM message Tracey_W as she been a qualified midwife for couple years.
Only staff that really work sort of 8/9am - 6pm Monday to Fridays are outpatient department & GP community nursing staff.

As a student nurse you don't get any holidays in summer time like as you were at college or school & certain universities courses,

You get your holiday time at end of each term which is probably around Xmas/new year & easter & end of academic year plus any days of for exams & reading weeks. ( these are generally gaunantee for students nursing staff )

Yes you may have to work over your holidays but highly unlikely to happen ok so don't listen to rumours till you get your timetable when you start your course.
But as a qualified nurse you will be expected to work over festive period as everyone can't have it of at same time as babies can't wait till staff come back.
You generally rotated on to work one or the other festive period weeks but you'll get the opposite following year...

Best of luck with your upcoming midwife course and hope you enjoy it xxx
Thank you so much for your reply, really informative

I am very excited (and a little nervous) xxx
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your reply, really informative

I am very excited (and a little nervous) xxx
Hi
You are welcome for my reply as I'm sure it will go long way in reassuring you about things on the course x

As a nurse I'm very informative with information on it as I would expect others to do same. 😃

Of course it's expected you'll be nervous about things but I can assure you once you start your course you'll look back and say wow I did right thing. X

Its will be hard but you'll get through it. X
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello All,

Thank you
Hiya

What allysom2020 said is basically correct ok, the hours for your shifts patterns is different at all health trusts in the UK so times can obviously vary for any split ***** you may have to work. Long hours of about 12 - 13 hours are correct.
You'll be working weekends / nightshifts as well as dayshift alongside your placement mentor / supervisor & assessor. Usually what shifts they do you'll do.

You will get these holidays off what Allyson said unless told otherwise but you'll not really know this till closer the time as you may either be on university studies or placements as till you get timetable in September you won't know.
I got two weeks at Xmas/ New Year, easter ( about 10 days ) university tends to break up week later than colleges at easter time , week or 10 days at end of academic year plus some time of at exams time to study, and also get reading weeks generally after exams or before start of next trimeter/semester.

Any questions you want to know answer for this then do feel free to PM message me ok and see what can I do for you.

Hope you will enjoy this very hard competertive course xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.83%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise