The Student Room Group

Medical schools that offer more lectures and less self-directed study

Hello,
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Just to introduce myself - I am a Y13 student (international). Hope to apply for Medicine for 2022 entry.

I have been researching UCAT unis that offer an integrated curriculum, and would prefer a uni that offers more lectures / tutorials (and less self-directed learning) please can anyone suggest which UCAT unis might fit the bill? I’ve tried searching on Uni websites but not having much success getting the approximate breakdown between teacher-led and independent study activities
(I did like Sheffield and Leicester course structure, but just can't find the split)

Thank you loads for your help.
Shark.

PS Really finding this forum informative, much appreciate the info and advice!
Original post by sharkcano
Hello,

Just to introduce myself - I am a Y13 student (international). Hope to apply for Medicine for 2022 entry.

I have been researching UCAT unis that offer an integrated curriculum, and would prefer a uni that offers more lectures / tutorials (and less self-directed learning) please can anyone suggest which UCAT unis might fit the bill? I’ve tried searching on Uni websites but not having much success getting the approximate breakdown between teacher-led and independent study activities
(I did like Sheffield and Leicester course structure, but just can't find the split)

Shark.

I believe any integrated course will be more tailored in that way however I think you’ll struggle to find the exact splits online. You may be able to find example timetables on online open days which may help you or some unis have a possibility to talk to current students so you could ask them or contact admissions directly. Birmingham is supposed to be fairly traditional for an integrated course with quite a few lectures. I applied there along with Sheffield too and I believe they were pretty similar in contact hours. If you like the course structure of Sheffield it might be worth looking at Liverpool too. I also applied to Newcastle as they’re integrated but I can’t remember the time splits sorry.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
I believe any integrated course will be more tailored in that way however I think you’ll struggle to find the exact splits online. You may be able to find example timetables on online open days which may help you or some unis have a possibility to talk to current students so you could ask them or contact admissions directly. Birmingham is supposed to be fairly traditional for an integrated course with quite a few lectures. I applied there along with Sheffield too and I believe they were pretty similar in contact hours. If you like the course structure of Sheffield it might be worth looking at Liverpool too. I also applied to Newcastle as they’re integrated but I can’t remember the time splits sorry.

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by turkeydinosaur16

Thank you!
Reply 4
Hello,

Shark.

Just avoid the PBL heavy ones - Manchester, Glasgow, UEA, HYMS, Plymouth, Exeter, Barts, Keele.

Oxbridge top the traditional list, but I think Edinburgh and Birmingham are quite high up there. Other than that, you will have a mix of lectures, tutorials, clinicals and self-directed learning
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
Just avoid the PBL heavy ones - Manchester, Glasgow, UEA, HYMS, Plymouth, Exeter, Barts, Keele.

Oxbridge top the traditional list, but I think Edinburgh and Birmingham are quite high up there. Other than that, you will have a mix of lectures, tutorials, clinicals and self-directed learning

Thanks
Hello,
Shark.

Hello,
I am thinking of applying for medicine in 2025 in the UK and was just looking for some advice.
I was just wondering if anybody knew about the medical schools that use a lot of in person lectures, as opposed to online.
I am really keen to go to one with the majority of lectures in person as i feel if I am paying that much money for a course I want it to be worth it.
If anyone has any knowledge / advice that would be really helpful
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending