Watch
sharkcano
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello,
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Just to introduce myself - I am a Y13 student (international). Hope to apply for Medicine for 2022 entry.

I have been researching UCAT unis that offer an integrated curriculum, and would prefer a uni that offers more lectures / tutorials (and less self-directed learning) – please can anyone suggest which UCAT unis might fit the bill? I’ve tried searching on Uni websites but not having much success getting the approximate breakdown between teacher-led and independent study activities
(I did like Sheffield and Leicester course structure, but just can't find the split)

Thank you loads for your help.
Shark.

PS – Really finding this forum informative, much appreciate the info and advice!
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sharkcano)
Hello,

Just to introduce myself - I am a Y13 student (international). Hope to apply for Medicine for 2022 entry.

I have been researching UCAT unis that offer an integrated curriculum, and would prefer a uni that offers more lectures / tutorials (and less self-directed learning) – please can anyone suggest which UCAT unis might fit the bill? I’ve tried searching on Uni websites but not having much success getting the approximate breakdown between teacher-led and independent study activities
(I did like Sheffield and Leicester course structure, but just can't find the split)

Shark.

PS – Really finding this forum informative, much appreciate the info and advice!
I believe any integrated course will be more tailored in that way however I think you’ll struggle to find the exact splits online. You may be able to find example timetables on online open days which may help you or some unis have a possibility to talk to current students so you could ask them or contact admissions directly. Birmingham is supposed to be fairly traditional for an integrated course with quite a few lectures. I applied there along with Sheffield too and I believe they were pretty similar in contact hours. If you like the course structure of Sheffield it might be worth looking at Liverpool too. I also applied to Newcastle as they’re integrated but I can’t remember the time splits sorry.

Hope that helps
sharkcano
Rep:
?
(Original post by turkeydinosaur16)
I believe any integrated course will be more tailored in that way however I think you’ll struggle to find the exact splits online. You may be able to find example timetables on online open days which may help you or some unis have a possibility to talk to current students so you could ask them or contact admissions directly. Birmingham is supposed to be fairly traditional for an integrated course with quite a few lectures. I applied there along with Sheffield too and I believe they were pretty similar in contact hours. If you like the course structure of Sheffield it might be worth looking at Liverpool too. I also applied to Newcastle as they’re integrated but I can’t remember the time splits sorry.

Hope that helps
Thanks!
sharkcano
Rep:
?
(Original post by turkeydinosaur16)

Hope that helps
Thank you!
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sharkcano)
Hello,

Shark.

Just avoid the PBL heavy ones - Manchester, Glasgow, UEA, HYMS, Plymouth, Exeter, Barts, Keele.

Oxbridge top the traditional list, but I think Edinburgh and Birmingham are quite high up there. Other than that, you will have a mix of lectures, tutorials, clinicals and self-directed learning
sharkcano
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
Just avoid the PBL heavy ones - Manchester, Glasgow, UEA, HYMS, Plymouth, Exeter, Barts, Keele.

Oxbridge top the traditional list, but I think Edinburgh and Birmingham are quite high up there. Other than that, you will have a mix of lectures, tutorials, clinicals and self-directed learning
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads