g4m3rm0d_3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
basically, im planning on taking computer science a-level, but i haven't been able to take computer science at gcse. i know i can still do computer science at a-level, but im hoping to improve my basic skills beforehand just to be safe.

what language(s) are used for a-level comp. sci? and does anyone have any recommendations on how to teach myself some?
vidi2020
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by g4m3rm0d_3)
basically, im planning on taking computer science a-level, but i haven't been able to take computer science at gcse. i know i can still do computer science at a-level, but im hoping to improve my basic skills beforehand just to be safe.

what language(s) are used for a-level comp. sci? and does anyone have any recommendations on how to teach myself some?
i took alevel comp sci without gcse ... bro i honestly regret it sometimes The theory part is easy if you study and remember it but where it gets stressful is the coursework bcos teachers arent allowed to help with it and especially if ur new to the subject ur programming skills are weak so the project may not be at good standard. SO basically I wouldn't recommend it UNLESS u need it for uni/ ur eager to learn the languages - most schools do python btw but ur coursework can be in any language but it has to be on ur exam boards list of acceptable programming languages.
g4m3rm0d_3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by vidi2020)
i took alevel comp sci without gcse ... bro i honestly regret it sometimes The theory part is easy if you study and remember it but where it gets stressful is the coursework bcos teachers arent allowed to help with it and especially if ur new to the subject ur programming skills are weak so the project may not be at good standard. SO basically I wouldn't recommend it UNLESS u need it for uni/ ur eager to learn the languages - most schools do python btw but ur coursework can be in any language but it has to be on ur exam boards list of acceptable programming languages.
yeah ive thought about it a lot. i really want to pursue it in uni, so im very set on taking it. i taught myself some basics but couldnt find the chance to develop past that. it came to me pretty quickly so if i pick it back up now, i'll at least have something to work with by a-level yknow? i was just wondering if ppl had any suggestions on how to do that lmao
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah ive thought about it a lot. i really want to pursue it in uni, so im very set on taking it. i taught myself some basics but couldnt find the chance to develop past that. it came to me pretty quickly so if i pick it back up now, i'll at least have something to work with by a-level yknow? i was just wondering if ppl had any suggestions on how to do that lmao
You don’t need A level CS to do CS at uni - they assume you know nothing about it.

I can’t give you much advice in your scenario though as I did both GCSE and A level CS. My experience of it was you went over a lot of the GCSE content again but just in more detail if that makes sense?
heccyeah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Different schools tend to teach different programming languages, but on the off chance yours teaches Java, I highly recommend this course: https://java-programming.mooc.fi/. If I were you, I probably wouldn't worry about the theory too much, but make sure you have some experience in programming (doesn't have to be anything much so don't worry - gcse generally only includes things like variables, for / while loops, if/else statements, etc. aka the basics), because as I'm sure you already know, you will have to do the coursework (worth 20%), which has a substantial programming element, and one of the exam papers will also be on programming (and is worth 40%).
Last edited by heccyeah; 1 week ago
mikamikamii
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my school taught a programming language none of the students had ever heard of before and it kinda sucked so definitely check what your school is teaching first.
it might also be worth checking what a few universities' requirements are so you can see roughly what sort of grades/subjects you need?
if you're struggling with the coursework you can always ask other students or check to see if there's any information online? but since many students take it without taking the gcse so you should be fine! good luck
Abhi20026
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is anyone an international student going for undergraduate in hertfordshire
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
14.94%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (99)
32.14%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.34%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (27)
8.77%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.52%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed