Ask a Business Student - Careers and Placements

Watch
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello everyone,

It’s Eloise and I am back to tell you a bit about careers and what you could do with a Business Management degree.

In the Business School, we have our very own Careers team called Henley Careers who focus on Henley Business School students. This means that you have more access to advice and availability of appointments which is a great advantage for my course. Henley Careers have personally given me a lot of support over the last year and can help you with your CV and cover letters, interview and assessment centre preparation and general advice and chats to help you identify what industry or job you might like to work in after you leave university. Henley Careers also run lots of great events and panels so you can hear from and meet top employers which is great for your career prospects as you can ask how to get into certain sectors and how to make yourself stand out.

As you may have seen below, I am doing a Placement year as part of my degree which is a great opportunity for a business student so that you can stand out from the crowd and apply some of your course knowledge. I am starting my placement in August at a company called Kimberly-Clark. You might know some of their brands including Andrex and Kleenex or you might have seen Kimberly-Clark on paper towel dispensers. I am going to be working in an area of operations called Supply Chain focusing on Logistics in Procurement which is interesting to me as I have never done anything like this before. What I’m trying to say is that placements are an adventure for a year so if you love it and you’ve found what you want to do, that’s amazing but if you don’t then at least you know for your future job search that you aren’t so keen on that area. I haven’t even started yet and I would already highly recommend doing a placement as the skills I have gained in recruitment processes alone are amazing and really valuable for when you leave university. Also, due to having that experience of working for a year, you will be more employable so it really is a great opportunity to get involved in as part of your course!

If you haven’t thought about doing a placement, you can find them on company websites or job sites and see that there are loads for a range of companies! I am very excited about beginning mine and feel free to ask about my experience of recruitment processes and why you should consider a placement!

Are you thinking of doing a placement as part of your course? Add any of your questions about Careers and Placements below!

Eloise
2nd year Student Ambassador, Business Management with a Placement Year
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hello everyone,

It’s Eloise and I am back to tell you a bit about careers and what you could do with a Business Management degree.

In the Business School, we have our very own Careers team called Henley Careers who focus on Henley Business School students. This means that you have more access to advice and availability of appointments which is a great advantage for my course. Henley Careers have personally given me a lot of support over the last year and can help you with your CV and cover letters, interview and assessment centre preparation and general advice and chats to help you identify what industry or job you might like to work in after you leave university. Henley Careers also run lots of great events and panels so you can hear from and meet top employers which is great for your career prospects as you can ask how to get into certain sectors and how to make yourself stand out.

As you may have seen below, I am doing a Placement year as part of my degree which is a great opportunity for a business student so that you can stand out from the crowd and apply some of your course knowledge. I am starting my placement in August at a company called Kimberly-Clark. You might know some of their brands including Andrex and Kleenex or you might have seen Kimberly-Clark on paper towel dispensers. I am going to be working in an area of operations called Supply Chain focusing on Logistics in Procurement which is interesting to me as I have never done anything like this before. What I’m trying to say is that placements are an adventure for a year so if you love it and you’ve found what you want to do, that’s amazing but if you don’t then at least you know for your future job search that you aren’t so keen on that area. I haven’t even started yet and I would already highly recommend doing a placement as the skills I have gained in recruitment processes alone are amazing and really valuable for when you leave university. Also, due to having that experience of working for a year, you will be more employable so it really is a great opportunity to get involved in as part of your course!

If you haven’t thought about doing a placement, you can find them on company websites or job sites and see that there are loads for a range of companies! I am very excited about beginning mine and feel free to ask about my experience of recruitment processes and why you should consider a placement!

Are you thinking of doing a placement as part of your course? Add any of your questions about Careers and Placements below!

Eloise
2nd year Student Ambassador, Business Management with a Placement Year
Add your questions here!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads