Tesco Nights Customer Assistant 2021

Watch
I.don't.wike.it
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I went in for my interview on Monday and was told I would receive a call on Wednesday (today, the day I am posting this). Well I received the call, saying I got the job (yay!) and that I would have to go in for an induction on Friday, with my first shift starting Saturday. I was just wondering if anyone could provide some info as to what I'll be doing during the Induction (also should I just walk up to the customer service desk and say that's what I'm here for). I was told it will be from 9am-6pm and that I should bring my bank details (would my card just be okay, like account number and sort code?). Also I have no idea how I go about getting a uniform etc. Any help is greatly appreciated, as this will be my first job I am a bit nervous
ArcticChimera
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hmmm. I haven't worked in Tesco per say, but I have worked in retail, so I can roughly estimate.
Likely: they will show you some pre-recorded training/safety videos which you'll probably forget about 5 minutes after watching, and you'll also have to do a ton of admin, just filling in safety forms; learning where fire exits are etc. etc. You might then be asked to spend some time on the shop floor shadowing an existing employee and depending on whether they want you to learn this straight away or ease you in first, you'll also be trained on the till.

Yes, just arrive about 10 minutes early and find someone working there, customer service desk would work, and explain who you are etc. As for uniform, if you have the phone number, or a contact email of who interviewed you or someone you conferred with about the job, I'd ask beforehand, they may ask you to order some online and in the meantime just turn up in smart-ish black trousers and a white shirt/blouse and sensible footwear.

I can't guarantee obviously, but they will probably ease you in with everything, you got the job for a reason, congratulations on your first job and just be friendly/approachable and really listen to what they advise you

Edit: oh! about bank details; for my first job a whiiile ago I didn't even have my own bank account and had to use my mum's for a month! Yes, your card will be absolutely fine, all they need is the account number, sort code, and the name of the bank you are with
Last edited by ArcticChimera; 1 month ago
I.don't.wike.it
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArcticChimera)
Hmmm. I haven't worked in Tesco per say, but I have worked in retail, so I can roughly estimate.
Likely: they will show you some pre-recorded training/safety videos which you'll probably forget about 5 minutes after watching, and you'll also have to do a ton of admin, just filling in safety forms; learning where fire exits are etc. etc. You might then be asked to spend some time on the shop floor shadowing an existing employee and depending on whether they want you to learn this straight away or ease you in first, you'll also be trained on the till.

Yes, just arrive about 10 minutes early and find someone working there, customer service desk would work, and explain who you are etc. As for uniform, if you have the phone number, or a contact email of who interviewed you or someone you conferred with about the job, I'd ask beforehand, they may ask you to order some online and in the meantime just turn up in smart-ish black trousers and a white shirt/blouse and sensible footwear.

I can't guarantee obviously, but they will probably ease you in with everything, you got the job for a reason, congratulations on your first job and just be friendly/approachable and really listen to what they advise you

Edit: oh! about bank details; for my first job a whiiile ago I didn't even have my own bank account and had to use my mum's for a month! Yes, your card will be absolutely fine, all they need is the account number, sort code, and the name of the bank you are with
Thank you so much this is really helpful! If I remember, I'll write a response saying how it went, in case anyone is in the same situation as I am. The manger who phoned me said the Induction drags on quite a bit 😬 so I'm wondering if I should bring a bunch of snacks lol. Also at my interview, I shadowed a colleague for about 10 mins and he showed me how to stock the shelves, so I'd be happy if most of the day was like this. Thanks again!
ArcticChimera
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jodykip)
Thank you so much this is really helpful! If I remember, I'll write a response saying how it went, in case anyone is in the same situation as I am. The manger who phoned me said the Induction drags on quite a bit 😬 so I'm wondering if I should bring a bunch of snacks lol. Also at my interview, I shadowed a colleague for about 10 mins and he showed me how to stock the shelves, so I'd be happy if most of the day was like this. Thanks again!
No problem! Haha, it may drag on a liiiitttle but you only have to go through the induction once best of luck x
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I went in for my interview on Monday and was told I would receive a call on Wednesday (today, the day I am posting this). Well I received the call, saying I got the job (yay!) and that I would have to go in for an induction on Friday, with my first shift starting Saturday. I was just wondering if anyone could provide some info as to what I'll be doing during the Induction (also should I just walk up to the customer service desk and say that's what I'm here for). I was told it will be from 9am-6pm and that I should bring my bank details (would my card just be okay, like account number and sort code?). Also I have no idea how I go about getting a uniform etc. Any help is greatly appreciated, as this will be my first job I am a bit nervous
Hi
Congrats on getting a job with tesco and will welcome you to the family of colleagues who work there,

I'm a t/leader & stand in supervisor as required with them.

So basically you'll report to customer service desk ( presuming you in a large store ) and tell the staff member who you are and can they let manager know you here, I would go in about 10-15 minutes earlier to report in and afterwards just have wee walk round store to familiar yourself with things. ( you don't need to).

At induction you will do all the necessary paperwork filling in ( bank details - bank card is ok, national insurance, proof of working in UK, ), oh yes uniform as well order form which you should be able to pick from list on what you want to wear ( can take anything upto 4 weeks to come as depends on how quickly its ordered by manager ). In meantime wear if you are girl - white blouse/short or long sleeves , black smart trousers and flat sensible s***s that is comfortably enough / if guy then shirt / trousers and decent s***s. You will be able to sign up for tesco staff website ( our tesco ) once you get payroll number with first payslip.

You'll watch videos on heath & safety , about the company and eventually done on shop floor to do some stuff there,
You will be paired up with full-time staff who'll show you what to do, tesco has policy that all staff must be tilled ( checkouts ) trained incase required for short staffing levels.

Enjoy it okay x
I.don't.wike.it
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Hi
Congrats on getting a job with tesco and will welcome you to the family of colleagues who work there,

I'm a t/leader & stand in supervisor as required with them.

So basically you'll report to customer service desk ( presuming you in a large store ) and tell the staff member who you are and can they let manager know you here, I would go in about 10-15 minutes earlier to report in and afterwards just have wee walk round store to familiar yourself with things. ( you don't need to).

At induction you will do all the necessary paperwork filling in ( bank details - bank card is ok, national insurance, proof of working in UK, ), oh yes uniform as well order form which you should be able to pick from list on what you want to wear ( can take anything upto 4 weeks to come as depends on how quickly its ordered by manager ). In meantime wear if you are girl - white blouse/short or long sleeves , black smart trousers and flat sensible s***s that is comfortably enough / if guy then shirt / trousers and decent s***s. You will be able to sign up for tesco staff website ( our tesco ) once you get payroll number with first payslip.

You'll watch videos on heath & safety , about the company and eventually done on shop floor to do some stuff there,
You will be paired up with full-time staff who'll show you what to do, tesco has policy that all staff must be tilled ( checkouts ) trained incase required for short staffing levels.

Enjoy it okay x
Thanks so much I really appreciate this info. This might be a stupid question but is the till training/operating difficult? I'm pretty average at maths but being on the spot, talking to customers, making sure theyre aged 25 for certain products etc, I think I'd get a bit overwhelmed. Thanks again
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much I really appreciate this info. This might be a stupid question but is the till training/operating difficult? I'm pretty average at maths but being on the spot, talking to customers, making sure theyre aged 25 for certain products etc, I think I'd get a bit overwhelmed. Thanks again
You welcome x

No it ain't a silly question about the till training ok, its basically easy to do once shown what to do and if any issues call over t/leader or supervisor for assistance as don't worry how many times you do this as that's why they there for. You not allowed to serve anyone you know like family etc as you must call over your t/leader or supervisor and they will either serve them or ask to goto another Cash desk.
Yes age checking is a thing you can do if suspect anyone under 18 or 25 with alcohol. Another thing if you under 18 you can't serve anyone with alcohol ok as again call over your t/leader or supervisor and they will authorise this and wait till you complete transactions.

Good luck again
BH1010
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck with your induction! I had mine on Tuesday, albeit mine was only about 2.5-3 hours in total compared to your 9-6pm one. As said already, the training videos and questions will be super boring but you just have to persevere.

First shift was today and was shown a few things and around fridges/warehouse bit etc then was left to my own but there was 3 other people in the area I was working so was never fully alone anyways. I’m assuming that because your induction is all day you may get till trained (even if that isn’t your main role, but you’re on nights so probably not) but I didn’t, though you should get the hang of everything by the end of the day
Last edited by BH1010; 1 month ago
I.don't.wike.it
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey_W)
You welcome x

No it ain't a silly question about the till training ok, its basically easy to do once shown what to do and if any issues call over t/leader or supervisor for assistance as don't worry how many times you do this as that's why they there for. You not allowed to serve anyone you know like family etc as you must call over your t/leader or supervisor and they will either serve them or ask to goto another Cash desk.
Yes age checking is a thing you can do if suspect anyone under 18 or 25 with alcohol. Another thing if you under 18 you can't serve anyone with alcohol ok as again call over your t/leader or supervisor and they will authorise this and wait till you complete transactions.

Good luck again
Thank you for clarifying, this all really helps me
I.don't.wike.it
Rep:
?
(Original post by BH1010)
Good luck with your induction! I had mine on Tuesday, albeit mine was only about 2.5-3 hours in total compared to your 9-6pm one. As said already, the training videos and questions will be super boring but you just have to persevere.

First shift was today and was shown a few things and around fridges/warehouse bit etc then was left to my own but there was 3 other people in the area I was working so was never fully alone anyways. I’m assuming that because your induction is all day you may get till trained (even if that isn’t your main role, but you’re on nights so probably not) but I didn’t, though you should get the hang of everything by the end of the day
Thank you for the insight, this is so helpful! Congrats on the job, how are you finding everything/enjoying it so far? I'm dreading trying to sort out my sleep schedule haha
I.don't.wike.it
Rep:
?
Replying to my original post cause I did my induction today! Spoilers: definitely not as bad as I was expecting.

Most of the day was spent in an office with 4 other people starting with me, filling out paperwork and watching training videos. The woman conducting our induction was so lovely and acted like a mum figure but unfortunately I won't be seeing much of her due to my hours.

We were given breaks throughout the day, the canteen was nice and clean, with free toast, drinks and fruit. Later on we were given our clock in cards and shown how to do it and where to go. We were briefly shown the warehouse part but I assume we'll be cage trained and everything tomorrow on my first shift.

Last 45 mins was spent on the self service section because the tills were too busy. I loved this section because I could just scan my employee barcode if a customer had a problem. Employee training me was so nice and friendly, but I was so awkward lol and didn't understand what she was asking me sometimes. I figured it out though and I'd be happy to work there on nights.

I did have a question that I'll ask tomorrow, but if anyone could answer that would be great. I was told I'm allocated two 45 min breaks, would I have to clock out and clock back in when I take my breaks?
katie.weston
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Replying to my original post cause I did my induction today! Spoilers: definitely not as bad as I was expecting.

Most of the day was spent in an office with 4 other people starting with me, filling out paperwork and watching training videos. The woman conducting our induction was so lovely and acted like a mum figure but unfortunately I won't be seeing much of her due to my hours.

We were given breaks throughout the day, the canteen was nice and clean, with free toast, drinks and fruit. Later on we were given our clock in cards and shown how to do it and where to go. We were briefly shown the warehouse part but I assume we'll be cage trained and everything tomorrow on my first shift.

Last 45 mins was spent on the self service section because the tills were too busy. I loved this section because I could just scan my employee barcode if a customer had a problem. Employee training me was so nice and friendly, but I was so awkward lol and didn't understand what she was asking me sometimes. I figured it out though and I'd be happy to work there on nights.

I did have a question that I'll ask tomorrow, but if anyone could answer that would be great. I was told I'm allocated two 45 min breaks, would I have to clock out and clock back in when I take my breaks?
I also had an induction on 23rd and have my first shift today (24th), not sure what to expect, they suggested something about the till training for the first day. However, I'm not doing nights.

Good luck
Last edited by katie.weston; 1 month ago
I.don't.wike.it
Rep:
?
(Original post by katie.weston)
I also had an induction on 23rd and have my first shift today (24th), not sure what to expect, they suggested something about the till training for the first day. However, I'm not doing nights.

Good luck
I didn't go on the main tills myself but we watched an employee for a while and it looks much easier than it sounds, the till practically does everything, tells you when a product is age restricted etc. Honestly just ask for ID if you have the tiniest suspicion the customer may be underage, cause its better to be safe than sorry. I authorised a sale of alcohol on the self service for a young couple and I immediately regretted it because I forgot to ask for ID, turns out they were buying champagne for their wedding, so I assume I will be fine lol. Its a bit daunting at first but most customers are friendly and just want to get home as soon as possible. Good luck for your shift!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
12.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
39.66%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.24%

Watched Threads