Confusion going forward with 2021 / 2022 Physics A-Levels

Watch
frankjr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have question regarding A-Levels Phyiscs, I have read somewhere that they have changed the examination style, and no more Practicals. So my questions is A-Levels Cambridge or EdExcel has no practicals? I am private candidate, so if practicals are required than how would I write? I am based outside UK, so will be giving International CIE or EDEXCEL.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by frankjr)
I have question regarding A-Levels Phyiscs, I have read somewhere that they have changed the examination style, and no more Practicals. So my questions is A-Levels Cambridge or EdExcel has no practicals? I am private candidate, so if practicals are required than how would I write? I am based outside UK, so will be giving International CIE or EDEXCEL.
Where?
frankjr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Where?
In September 2015, practical work in A-Level Physics stopped being assessed through examination – but was still a core part of the curriculum.
https://nustem.uk/required-practicals/
Driving_Mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by frankjr)
In September 2015, practical work in A-Level Physics stopped being assessed through examination – but was still a core part of the curriculum.
https://nustem.uk/required-practicals/
There used to be a thing called ISA papers where you were tested on each practical. You were also tested during the practical much more formally than now.

From 2015 you still do required practicals but different competences are tested for each practical. Your school has to sign you off at the end of the course whether you have successfully completed the competences and all the required practicals or you haven’t.

(I am still studying A Level physics in year 12 so this may not all be correct)
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
There used to be a thing called ISA papers where you were tested on each practical. You were also tested during the practical much more formally than now.

From 2015 you still do required practicals but different competences are tested for each practical. Your school has to sign you off at the end of the course whether you have successfully completed the competences and all the required practicals or you haven’t.

(I am still studying A Level physics in year 12 so this may not all be correct)
Yes, this is all correct However, frankjr as you are a private candidate, the best option would be to take Edexcel International A level physics, which has no coursework and no need for a practical endorsement - the practical element of the course is examined by a 90-minute examination paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.59%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.52%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.89%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.3%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.91%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.63%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.15%

Watched Threads