Tokyo 2020 Olympics: HandballWatch
Handball is always my go to sport at the Olympics, and Id always suggest giving it a watch! But before you do, but might be useful to go over some of the basics (The first time I watched I had no idea of any of the rules).
Fun Fact: Handball is in fact the second most popular team sport in Europe, behind football or ‘soccer’ to any of our transatlantic friends
- Just like any other sport, the idea of the game is to score more points / goals than your opponents
- 14 Players per team (6 outfield and 1 Goalkeeper, and 7 Substitutes).
- Game is divided into two 30 minute half with a 10 minute half time.
- There are unlimited rolling substitutes - the referee doesn’t need informing.
- There are two referees - a Court Referee and a Goal Line Referee.
In order to move the ball up the court and attempt to throw it in the opposing teams goal, players will throw the ball to each other - they can do this by:
- Making a maximum of 3 consecutive steps but can bounce it as much as required. A player must also not hold the ball for anymore than 3 seconds. Failure to do this’ll result in a ‘Free Throw’ being awarded to the other team.
- If the player catches the ball, they can not bounce it again and must take a maximum 3 further steps, pass or shoot.
- Attacking player MUST NOT enter the crease with ball or the goal will not count. To score a goal all of the ball must cross the line.
PASSIVE PLAY: In Handball, you essentially have to always be attacking, because if it is judged that a team is keeping possession without attacking or attempting to score, possession is awarded to the opposing team. Jośe Mourihnio would not like this!
Defending players attempt to stop the opposing team shooting at their goal. They are permitted to make body contact, but they should not;
- hold or restrain attacking players
- must not hit another player
- strike or pull back the opponent’s throwing arm
- spoil a clear chance of scoring by illegal means.
PROGRESSIVE PUNISHMENTS: Just like most other sports, players can be punished for breaking and continuing to break the rules.
1st Foul: Yellow Card
2nd Foul: Min Suspension
3rd Foul: Another 2 min suspension
4th Foul: Red Card
You can find the schedule for the Handball for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics here: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olym...nd-results.htm
France vs Egypt
Denmark vs Spain
Denmark and France are my favorites to win gold, Spain for the bronze medal.
My predictions came true!
France is the number one in handball!