The Student Room Group

does anyone get excited having their own place

Every couple of months, i like to go on rightmove and search for studio apartments and pretty houses. All my life I've lived with family or shared accomdation and will be for the next few years anyways. But it just really excites me having my own place, peace and quiet where I can invite people when I want. Where I can just do everything without having to say hi to anyone. Living by myself in my own place sounds so exciting :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

My spouse and I are going to build our own house next year so recently I've been on those sorts of sites to get ideas about what I want in my house. It's so much fun shopping about. :biggrin:
Im the exact same lol, I'm about to move into uni halls so won't be having my own actual place for a few years but I'm so excited!
Original post by Sabertooth
My spouse and I are going to build our own house next year so recently I've been on those sorts of sites to get ideas about what I want in my house. It's so much fun shopping about. :biggrin:

Awwww good luck :')
Relatable - online house shopping can be very therapeutic, even if it is highly unlikely that I’ll own a 7-bed mansion in the heart of Wimbledon one day :lol:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Relatable - online house shopping can be very therapeutic, even if it is highly unlikely that I’ll own a 7-bed mansion in the heart of Wimbledon one day :lol:

And there was me thinking you had a pied-à-terre in South Ken...
Original post by Reality Check
And there was me thinking you had a pied-à-terre in South Ken...

With some artistic license, you wouldn’t be too far off :giggle:
yeah i get really excited but sometimes its scary as imagine something happens to me and no one is around
Original post by Mesopotamian.
With some artistic license, you wouldn’t be too far off :giggle:

:laugh:
As a famous, well-known minimalist, I am looking forward to house observation and buy-ation.
Not own house just yet but my own apartment is doing me just fine. I have issues so nightmares and paranoia and that are the only thing I don't like with living alone. I truly believe that there are wandering, lingering harmless and dangerous spirits and energy latching to living things that form randomly in unoccupied spaces like rooms and streets. And that they visit me a couple times and just chill next to me, behind me, and may or may not try to hurt me. It's creepy but not scary but it plagues me everyday thinking that they're gonna latch onto just me because I live alone.

But other than that! I'm good having my own place. 🤙
Original post by Moonlight rain
Every couple of months, i like to go on rightmove and search for studio apartments and pretty houses. All my life I've lived with family or shared accomdation and will be for the next few years anyways. But it just really excites me having my own place, peace and quiet where I can invite people when I want. Where I can just do everything without having to say hi to anyone. Living by myself in my own place sounds so exciting :biggrin:

Nothing wrong in having a dream and aspirations, and its always good to have a search as well, its fun :smile:
:yes:
Value my independence, privacy and access to peace & quiet at home too much to ever return to undergrad days of renting shared accomodation.
I'm hoping to buy a property within the next 18 months and quite enjoy going through auction & estate agent listings.
Original post by sophbrand31
Im the exact same lol, I'm about to move into uni halls so won't be having my own actual place for a few years but I'm so excited!

Youll have the delight of finding a student home though! Finding our second year house was pretty fun, looked on all rightmove and all that, really puts adulting into perspective
(edited 2 years ago)
When I first move in, yeah its exciting. When reality hits and you see how much easier life was when living at home with family and you didn't have to pay for everything and do everything and had someone to talk to then its a little depressing.
I used to but the novelty quickly wore off when the reality of bills and chores set in.
The thing about having your own place, is that something is always breaking.
It doesn't matter how lovely your own place is, I guarantee you that you'll end up spending an annoyingly large portion of your income on fixing stuff.
Reply 17
No.

I have my own place.

I preferred actually living with flatmates, gets lonely after a while once the novelty wears off....
Reply 18
Original post by Sabertooth

That's sick bro
Have you considered getting a pet?
Maybe a dog or smart parrot.

Quick Reply

Latest