The Student Room Group

Engineer vs Doctor

Engineer or doctor?
Hello, I'm in the final year of highschool and i have been accepted in a medical school aswell as an engineering school (both pretty good schools). I'm pretty much lost on what path should i take but i lean heavily towards engineering for the following reasons :
-I'm into programming and innovating
-Engineering offers the chance for fierce competition, which always makes me hungrier thus make me work better.
-Engineering offers the chance to open a business (the school i might go to offers a double degree so i can choose management as my 2nd degree)
-Engineering offers the chance for early retirement which is my plan too
-I have always been more of a smart guy than a hardworking guy, earning easily 90/100 in maths and physics.
-Even if i find myself in front of a situation where i have to work hard to get good grades Im very certain i could manage my time very well.
-I dont think i could hold on for another 12 or 13 years of school.
-I might not be able to hold on to the stress of waking up every other night for work (note that i have insomnia since birth so I already dont sleep well at night + I could never and under any circumstances sleep at daytime)
-The school i might get into is all work and practice rather then theory (12 to 24/60 months work out of months of school)
All of this and other reasons make me want to take the engineering path but my parents love Med school for its name and its "money" (even tho i think a great engineer will far outearn a doctor). I have always been someone that wanted to be the best at anything I have ever done so being just an engineer won't satisfy my hunger, keep this in mind please.
Could you help i need to make up my mind in 15 days.
Please note that I did not make this thread just to not guilt my self, something random maybe convincing for me to change my thinking.
You don't need help making your mind up - it's pretty clear you want to do engineering, so don't listen to your parents
Reply 2
Original post by tej3141
You don't need help making your mind up - it's pretty clear you want to do engineering, so don't listen to your parents

Seems like the best choice for me but I still have time to decide. Thank you for your advice!

Quick Reply