Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Rugby sevens

Watch
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020!

This thread is for the rugby sevens competitions.

Rugby sevens is a version of rugby union that is played with seven rather than fifteen players per team. Rather than lasting for the usual 80 minutes, games last for 14 minutes, 7 per half, which means that a whole competition can be played in a weekend – or, in the case of the Olympics, three days!

The men's tournament will run from Monday 26th to Wednesday 28th July, and the women's tournament will follow from Thursday 29th to Saturday 31st July. Games will be played one after another at the Tokyo Stadium, which hosted matches at the last Rugby World Cup for 15-a-side in 2019.

The full schedule for the events is here. All matches can be streamed in the UK via Eurosport and Discovery+, and it is likely that the BBC will have some coverage too.

The rugby sevens tournament at Rio 2016 was perhaps best known for the Fiji men winning their country's first ever Olympic gold medal. They have a very strong squad and will challenge again, but there will be strong competition from the likes of New Zealand, South Africa, the US and Great Britain. The women's gold medal was won by Australia in 2016, but expect the same sort of teams to be in the mix this time on the women's side too!
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 1 month ago
username5702009
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will be watching, and like the inclusion of this as a sport for some countries with limited history in the Games.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Really enjoying watching Fiji in the quarter finals today against Australia.
Fantastic commentary for this too.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Through to the semi finals...

Fiji
Vs
Argentina

New Zealand
Vs
Great Britain
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Really enjoying watching Fiji in the quarter finals today against Australia.
Fantastic commentary for this too.
I've slowly been catching up on today's session during the day. Assuming you've been listening to the same commentary I have, totally agree that the commentary is really good, especially by usual Olympics standards. Tony Johnson is really solid and Rob Vickerman too, even if he does need to learn the correct meaning of the word 'connotation'!

Still trying to decide whether I enjoy the sevens format or not, but hoping that tomorrow is a really good day of it!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
And that gold medal match and gold medal winner is why I'm so pleased that sevens is in the Olympics now!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Argentina were a very strong team and I'm sure will be formidable in the next few years with the age of their players!

Fiji were worthy winners and I'm so pleased for them as a nation. :grin:
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
One of the great things about both women's rugby and sevens (and by extension women's sevens) is seeing teams play that are not traditional rugby nations. I'm loving seeing teams like China and Brazil that I've never seen play rugby!

GB needing a big stroke of luck to get past the Russian Olympic Committee this morning as well!
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 1 month ago
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Fiji definitely (and rather more unexpectedly) the story of the women's sevens at this Olympics too!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Gonna copy this tweet here after an astonishing bronze medal for Fiji in the women's as well!

Jamie Lyall
@JLyall93
Fijiana coach Saiasi Fuli reveals 'three or four' of his bronze medallists only took up rugby around a year ago, and had never been on a plane before. That, plus 16 weeks without seeing their families, only burnishes their richly deserved achievement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads