em0392
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
i will be going to uni on adult nursing course from october and am meant to start first placement in february. there is a concert i have been waiting to get tickets for for ages and it super cheap but it’s in march and i’m unsure if once i book i’ll be able to go as i’m not sure how the placement will work. if i’m busy on a certain day or at a certain time would i just be able to not to my placement at that time or do i not get any say or choice on this?
Last edited by em0392; 6 days ago
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
o

(Original post by em0392)
i will be going to uni on adult nursing course from october and am meant to start first placement in february. there is a concert i have been waiting to get tickets for for ages and it super cheap but it’s in march and i’m unsure if once i book i’ll be able to go as i’m not sure how the placement will work. if i’m busy on a certain day or at a certain time would i just be able to not to my placement at that time or do i not get any say or choice on this?
Not showing up to placement is like not showing up to work - it's something that goes on your record and you get disciplined for. You also get absolutely no choice when you go on placement, nor where you go (with the exception of final placement, where you get to ask for where to get sent).
Some placements are regimented in what you do, ie you do 9-5 Monday-Friday. Then there's the shift work placements: some give you your shifts and that's it with no leeway(at all!) and others will be flexible with your shifts.
There is no magic ball of predictions as to where you'll end up, nor how flexible they'll be, and just randomly skipping placement to go to a gig is neither acceptable or professional
em0392
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
i was never considering skipping placement for it. i just wanted to see whether it would be possible to go to it or not while on placement. i haven’t been given much information about it so wasn’t entirely sure how the allocating of it worked and such. thank you for your help
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You may be able to go, you won’t know what shifts you’ll be on at the time as they won’t have written any sort of off duty. I’d buy the tickets, you could always sell them if you weren’t able to go.
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by em0392)
(Original post by Emily_B)
o

Not showing up to placement is like not showing up to work - it's something that goes on your record and you get disciplined for. You also get absolutely no choice when you go on placement, nor where you go (with the exception of final placement, where you get to ask for where to get sent).
Some placements are regimented in what you do, ie you do 9-5 Monday-Friday. Then there's the shift work placements: some give you your shifts and that's it with no leeway(at all!) and others will be flexible with your shifts.
There is no magic ball of predictions as to where you'll end up, nor how flexible they'll be, and just randomly skipping placement to go to a gig is neither acceptable or professional
The thing is you won't know exactly what kind of placement you'll be on till probably late January when they tell you where you'll be going and hours you do.... Possibility you may be on a hospital ward placement doing long ***** 12.5/13 hours a day either dayshifts/nightshifts or weekend. You'll only be doing 3 days a week with this so it may be possible you are of to allow you to attend..!!!
Obviously there's other types of shifts patterns you may be doing.

You can take chance to buy your ticket and if you able to go then great but if not them you could sell it so you not out of pocket.
Play it by ear I would suggest.

What Emily_B said is correct as some don't give you any leeway with things.
I been in situation like you as well as student midwife and I couldn't attend a concert due to working that particular time but managed to sell ticket to a friend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (32)
5.55%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.61%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.44%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.72%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.2%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.57%
Financial worries (37)
6.41%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
3.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.89%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.6%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed