The Student Room Group

(imperial) i no longer want uni accomodation.

hey guys,

so during my ucas application i selected "living away from home (i.e. accomodation" choice for all unis. and now my firm uni is telling me to choose my accomodation preferences. however, i no longer want to live in accomodation. i havent started the accomodation process and havent selected my preferences. is there anyway i can "cancel" on my choice to live away from home. if i dont fill in my accomodation preferences form then they will choose an accomodation for me and that will result in me having to pay rent for a place im not living in. the university is imperial if that helps, since i know that different unis have different accomodation processes.

also, i realise now that accommodation is spelt with two m's but its too hot to go back and fix all my spelling errors.

i hope that was clear, idm clarifying anything if u want

the deadline for the accommodation application is 30th July and i know i shouldnt have left it this late but there was a lot of complications.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Hiya, from looking at this website (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/faqs/), it doesn't seem like you'll be forced to pay rent. The FAQs aren't super clear on what happens if you fail to complete the application before the deadline. However, they do state that if you fail to respond to accommodation offers before the deadline, your offer will be withdrawn and your room reallocated to another student.

My advice would be to send an email to [email protected] to let them know that you no longer wish to stay in halls, but it doesn't sound like it will be an issue.
If you don't complete the accommodation process, you shouldn't be liable for anything and they certainly shouldn't randomly allocate anything to you.

The "living away from home" option on UCAS just puts you down on the appropriate mailing list, it doesn't commit you to anything as many applicants change their mind over time.

As above, it's a sensible idea to confirm to the accomodation team regarding your plans, if only to stop them mailing.

Quick Reply

Latest