The Student Room Group

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Karate

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020!

:kungfu: This thread is all about Karate :kungfu:

That is a new discipline that was accepted by the IOC for this year. The traditional Japanese martial art has two sections, the Kumite and the Kata. While the Kata are a demonstration detailed pattern of movements, the Kumite is the one for the battles with fists and feet. Both sections are separated in two genders and in three different weight classes. The 36 best Karatekas win a medal.

The shedule can be found here: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/karate/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm

Use this thread to discuss about the results, the events in general and have fun! :h:

Besides, @04MR17 and @CheeseIsVeg support me where they can. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Kallisto

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020!

:kungfu: This thread is all about Karate :kungfu:

That is a new discipline that was accepted by the IOC for this year. The traditional Japanese martial art has two sections, the Kumite and the Kata. While the Kata are a demonstration detailed pattern of movements, the Kumite is the one for the battles with fists and feet. Both sections are separated in two genders and in three different weight classes. The 36 best Karatekas win a medal.

The shedule can be found here: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/karate/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm

Use this thread to discuss about the results, the events in general and have fun! :h:

Besides, @04MR17 and @CheeseIsVeg support me where they can. Thanks in advance!

Nice thread Kallisto, I'm so excited to watch this! Do you know which day it starts? :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Nice thread Kallisto, I'm so excited to watch this! Do you know which day it starts? :smile:

Look at the schedule, it begin pretty late, at the 5th August. What do you like more? the Katas (demonstrated imaginery fight) or the Kumites (real fights)?
Just to introduce and fire the new sport in Tokio up, here are some kumites (fights) in -75kg weight classes. :smile:

Reply 4
Grace Lau will now fight for bronze. I think her opponent is some Turkish athlete. I hope she does it!
Top of my list for after work tonight is to try and watch back some of this from today!
Reply 6
Come on Grace Lau! You can do it!
Reply 7
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The first bronze medalist for the women's kata is Grace Lau from HK! It's our 5th medal in Tokyo!
Watched the match on channel 82 (TVB J2) and her brother was one of the commentators. He was really proud of her.
(edited 2 years ago)
@8013
@Saracen's Fez

Here are the results in Kumite and Kata:

Women, Kata:

Gold: S. Sanchez Jaime (Spain) :king1:
Silver: K. Shimizu (Japan) :king2:
Bronze: G.Lau (Hong Kong) / V. Bottaro (Italy) :king3:

Women, Kunite - 55 kg:

Gold: I. Goranova (Bulgaria) :king1:
Silver: A. Terliuga (Ukraine) :king2:
Bronze: B. Plank (Austria) / T.Y. Wen (Chinese Taipei) :king3:

Men, Kumite - 67 kg:

Gold: S. Da Costa (France) :king1:
Silver: E. Samdam (Turkey) :king2:
Bronze: A. R. Almasatfa (Jordan) / D. Assadilov (Kazakhstan) :king3:

The Spaniard Sanchez Jaime made history by winning the first gold in Karate at the Olympics ever! :smile:
Another results in Karate:

Men, Kata:

Gold: R. Kiyuna (Japan) :king1:
Silver: D. Quintero (Spain) :king2:
Bronze: A. Sefuoglu (Turkey) / A. Torres (USA) :king3:

Women, Kumite - 61 kg:

Gold: J. Prekovic (Serbia) :king1:
Silver: X. Y. Yin (China) :king2:
Bronze: G. Farouk (Egypt) / M. Coban (Turkey) :king3:

Men, Kumite - 75 kg:

Gold: L. Busa (Italy) :king1:
Silver: R. Aghayev (Azerbaijan) :king2:
Bronze: K. Harspataki (Hungary) /S. Horuna (Ukraine) :king3:

That was a nice and interesting sport at the olympic games. I don't get it why it is not a part of the olympics in 2024 in Paris and forever.

@8013 and @Saracen's Fez opinions?
What a shock for the German Jonathan Horne! :eek: he has broken his arm in the second fight and is out of the competition! I feel really pity for him and wish that he gets well soon!
Despite this terrific injury by the German Karateka Horne, here are the (very) last results from Karate at the Olympics:

Women, Kumite - Over 61 kg:

Gold: F. Abdelaziz (Egypt) :king1:
Silver: I. Zaretska (Azerbaijan) :king2:
Bronze: L. Gong (China) / S.Berultseva (Kazachstan) :king3:

Men, Kumite - Over 75 kg:

Gold: S. Ganjzadeh (Iran) :king1:
Silver: T.Hamedi (Saudi-Arabia) :king2:
Bronze: R. Araga (Japan) / U. Aktas (Turkey) :king3:

Quick Reply

Latest