Motivation and depression

Watch
Gentle bunny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi

Lately I've come to realise just how unenergised and lost in my every day life i've been.

I used to enjoy hobbies. Gaming, art, fitness. I would enjoy simple things like movies, YouTube and music.
For a long time now I've gotten so depressed and been so isolated having lost near all my family, only having my dad who is himself, a deeply depressed and struggling man always drunk because he can't cope. So I do feel very alone.

I've reached out for therapy and support. It's every now and then, far and in-between. It's something. The only thing I've managed to do for myself

I'm working a decent amount and it's the only thing that keeps me busy. I've never been so excited to go into work every day just to escape my own lonely isolating home. And existence.

I've tried to get into old hobbies and interests but having shared so many of them eith my partner at tbe time and recently separating I can't look at those things the same way nor can I find enjoyment or interest in doing them.

I've reached out to local meet up apps, searched for groups and clubs I could join in a desperate effort to find some/any kind of activity or interest with no results.

I feel very alone. Very isolated. This isn't how I imagined my life going at nearly 21.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or advice for how I can find friends, and interests and hobbies and over come this void I'm stuck in. Unable to find interest in anything. Any ideas and suggestions welcome. Please be kind. Thank you.
Ramannn.x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Private message me if you’d like to!
Last edited by Ramannn.x; 5 days ago
not_0kay
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey the important thing is that you've actually made attempts to feel better, it shows you care and it's one of the most difficult parts. Over time you'll start to look at your old hobbies and interests and instead of seeing them negatively you'll remember how happy you felt in that moment and it'll start to motivate you again I promise <3 . Healing takes time and you've got plenty of it, you're only nearly 21! Also maybe consider a pet if you're able to get one, it might make your home feel less isolating and pets are great at providing emotional support.
Gentle bunny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by not_0kay)
Hey the important thing is that you've actually made attempts to feel better, it shows you care and it's one of the most difficult parts. Over time you'll start to look at your old hobbies and interests and instead of seeing them negatively you'll remember how happy you felt in that moment and it'll start to motivate you again I promise <3 . Healing takes time and you've got plenty of it, you're only nearly 21! Also maybe consider a pet if you're able to get one, it might make your home feel less isolating and pets are great at providing emotional support.
Thank you so much for your reply it really helped! I have a dog and a cat they definitely help with my anxiety.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.62%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.62%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.73%
Financial worries (38)
6.47%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
10.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.01%

Watched Threads