Eris13696
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
How do we get the least value and great values? I usually use this method to find the minimum and max values of mod z. But here since the origin is the center I couldn’t apply that method. Thank you!!
Last edited by Eris13696; 4 days ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Eris13696)
How do we get the least value and great values? I usually use this method to find the minimum and max values of mod z. But here since the origin is the center I couldn’t apply that method. Thank you!!
The last picture is not appropriate to this question. |z| just represents the distance of a complex number from the origin. The min and max values in the shaded region should need no working, hence the "write down", but if you can't see this, just pick a couple of points in the shaded region. Can you pick points which are closer or further away from the origin while still in the shaded region.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 days ago
Eris13696
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
The last picture is not appropriate to this question. |z| just represents the distance of a complex number from the origin. The min and max values in the shaded region should need no working, hence the "write down", but if you can't see this, just pick a couple of points in the shaded region. Can you pick points which are closer or further away from the origin while still in the shaded region.
Oh the last picture was just showing the method I use usually, so just to make sure if I have a flaw in it, it’s form a diff question. Oh so I can choose any values here? That’s great to know thank you!!
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Eris13696)
Oh the last picture was just showing the method I use usually, so just to make sure if I have a flaw in it, it’s form a diff question. Oh so I can choose any values here? That’s great to know thank you!!
If you have to choose the smallest value of |z|, then you're meant to consider all possible z and choose the one which has the smallest length or distance from the origin.

In the third picture, they do exactly this, but some simple geometry means that the min and max values of |z| will lie on the extended line segment connecting the origin to the circle centre. In this question, becauses the orign lies in the circle, that geometry does not apply but its simpler.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.63%
Excited but a bit nervous (149)
45.57%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.62%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.18%

Watched Threads