The Student Room Group

Would Uni of Nottingham discriminate?

I have an offer from the university of Nottingham for their zoology programme. My ultimate goal is to study veterinary science so the plan is to join a graduate entry programme after my zoology degree. I will still apply for veterinary science in 2022 at universities including Nottingham. I'm wondering as to wether they would discriminate against me as I would already be a student of Nottingham university. This would mean I would have to drop out and take a place that could easily be filled as veterinary science is very competitive. I suppose what i'm trying to say is do I have a better chance applying for 2022 if I was doing a degree at trent uni.
Honestly universities won't like you applying while being a first year at university anyway, it doesn't matter where you go. I would strongly advise for you to choose either or, either take a gap year and apply for vet med or decide to go the graduate route 100%.
I can't speak for every university but I know a vet student who got rejected from a few vet schools because they were in their first year of studying biovet elsewhere. As mentioned above, it's recommended to take a gap year and reapply, as grad entry vet med is extremely expensive and more competitive.
Original post by jeansplean
I have an offer from the university of Nottingham for their zoology programme. My ultimate goal is to study veterinary science so the plan is to join a graduate entry programme after my zoology degree. I will still apply for veterinary science in 2022 at universities including Nottingham. I'm wondering as to wether they would discriminate against me as I would already be a student of Nottingham university. This would mean I would have to drop out and take a place that could easily be filled as veterinary science is very competitive. I suppose what i'm trying to say is do I have a better chance applying for 2022 if I was doing a degree at trent uni.

I wouldn't advice doing a degree solely for the purpose of getting into grad veterinary science. It is longer, more expensive and likely significantly more competitive. You would be better off taking a gap year and reapplying.
(edited 2 years ago)
Whilst it is not 100% impossible for a first year biovet to transfer to the vet degree it is almost unheard of and without exceptional exam results (both pre and during uni) it is unlikely to happen. Consider the number of applications to most schools is limited and this would be an almost certain waste of an attempt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending