Would Uni of Nottingham discriminate?

Watch
jeansplean
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have an offer from the university of Nottingham for their zoology programme. My ultimate goal is to study veterinary science so the plan is to join a graduate entry programme after my zoology degree. I will still apply for veterinary science in 2022 at universities including Nottingham. I'm wondering as to wether they would discriminate against me as I would already be a student of Nottingham university. This would mean I would have to drop out and take a place that could easily be filled as veterinary science is very competitive. I suppose what i'm trying to say is do I have a better chance applying for 2022 if I was doing a degree at trent uni.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jeansplean)
I have an offer from the university of Nottingham for their zoology programme. My ultimate goal is to study veterinary science so the plan is to join a graduate entry programme after my zoology degree. I will still apply for veterinary science in 2022 at universities including Nottingham. I'm wondering as to wether they would discriminate against me as I would already be a student of Nottingham university. This would mean I would have to drop out and take a place that could easily be filled as veterinary science is very competitive. I suppose what i'm trying to say is do I have a better chance applying for 2022 if I was doing a degree at trent uni.
So you have two plans? Plan 1 - do a full Zoology undergrad and then apply for Vet Med graduate entry. Plan 2 - do a year of Zoology and apply for standard Vet Med entry after a year of Zoology?

I doubt the second route would work as first year Zoology probably isn't going to boost A level grades sufficiently. If it did, then probably your best chance would be at the Uni that knew you and knew exactly the contribution you were making. That's provided their rules allow it, both uni and course.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would recommend you would be better off taking a gap year and retaking any A-levels you need to in order to get the appropriate grades, and then find vet med courses you can apply to which accept resits.

There is very little funding for pursuing vet med as a graduate as I understand (unlike medicine and dentistry), and starting a degree elsewhere then trying to apply to vet med will a) waste a year of your finite SFE funding entitlement and b) may preclude you from applying to some vet med courses, as some may not consider applications from students already at another uni (e.g. Cambridge).

Also note that zoology is not really that related to vet med as you aren't really going to be learning about the same things; vet med will focus on practical aspects of the health and biology of particular species and archetypes of animals (e.g. small pets, horses, etc) while zoology will mostly focus on general models and where it does consider particular animals it will be those which are ecologically important - which will probably not be relevant for vet studies (e.g. most insects are very important zoologically but uncommon as pets). A course in bioveterinary science/medicine or some other vet-related field would probably be more appropriate than zoology realistically.
jeansplean
Rep:
?
I should probably have explained that I have good grades and didn't apply this year due to me being unsure about my future. I would be applying with my level 3 qualifications and the only reason I would do zoology is because I need a backup in case I get rejected for 2022. I have also done a lot of research and all the graduate vet programmes welcome zoology as a degree.
I should also state that I will be paying for my zoology degree and leaving student finance for the vet degree.
Last edited by jeansplean; 2 months ago
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I should probably have explained that I have good grades and didn't apply this year due to me being unsure about my future. I would be applying with my level 3 qualifications and the only reason I would do zoology is because I need a backup in case I get rejected for 2022. I have also done a lot of research and all the graduate vet programmes welcome zoology as a degree.
I should also state that I will be paying for my zoology degree and leaving student finance for the vet degree.
It's an over-optimistic plan with all sorts of ways it can go wrong. Just take a gap year make a decision, and apply for Vet med if that's what you want to do.
jeansplean
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It's an over-optimistic plan with all sorts of ways it can go wrong. Just take a gap year make a decision, and apply for Vet med if that's what you want to do.
Hi I just wanted advice on wether I would be discriminated against for applying to the same uni I went to. Do you know if that would happen? Thanks
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you pay for your first degree the possibility of funding for a second undergraduate degree does not remain open. You can't get the normal undergraduate student loan finance if you already have a degree regardless of how it was paid for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads