Help on removing cifas mark

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Just found out after 4 years through a pre employment check that I have a cifas mark from Barclays what evidence is needed in order to get this removed this due to helping out A friend that needed a bank account i didn’t understand at the time why they weren’t Able to have one themselves so I helped them out by creating one in my name which ended up being used for fraudulent activities
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just found out after 4 years through a pre employment check that I have a cifas mark from Barclays what evidence is needed in order to get this removed this due to helping out A friend that needed a bank account i didn’t understand at the time why they weren’t Able to have one themselves so I helped them out by creating one in my name which ended up being used for fraudulent activities
What makes you think that you have any right to 'have it removed'.

You committed application fraud and misuse of facility on the bank. You therefore end up with a Cat.5 and Cat.7 CIFAS entry - if you're lucky, it's just one of these. You must have known that it was not OK to open a bank account for someone else in your name - it should have at the very least set alarm bells ringing.

There is no reason for Barclays to remove the CIFAS entry, and they will not do this. It will remain on your credit file for six years in total, so a further 2 years.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
I agree, there is no way they will remove the marker in these circumstances. It's a very clear cut case of application fraud.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Yeah I can tell you right now you have no chance of appeal, you have 100% done the thing Barclays have accused you of by facilitating fraud.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Why would you even think there's avenue for appeal? Absolute nonsense. There's a reason the financial services industry uses Cifas, and you are part of that reason.
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
You've admitted it was literally used for fraud so you have no basis on which to appeal and doing so after 4 years would be pointless anyway. You'll just have to wait for 2 years until the marker is wiped.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
How have you only just noticed you have a CIFAS marker, which, by the way, has been correctly applied? What have you been doing for a bank account in the last few years?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
You aided a fraudster.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)
How have you only just noticed you have a CIFAS marker, which, by the way, has been correctly applied? What have you been doing for a bank account in the last few years?
It was just that account that was closed as I mentioned I made it and after that it was out of my hands I had nothing to do with it MY account however is fine
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I made it and after that it was out of my hands I had nothing to do with it
You applied for an account. Under your name. Then gave all the credentials to a third party. So they could avoid the bank’s Know Your Customer policy including fraud checks and credit scoring. Then left them to it.

And yet, you had “nothing to do with it”.

I put it to you, that you committed application fraud.
idektbh12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
PLEASE GET IT REMOVED!
If you were actually innocent, by this i mean u didnt know that the money going into ur bank account was fraud money, firstly u need to call the fraud department and explain ur situation, and see their response. However I went to the branch instead and the lady there was extremely nice but said she cant do anything as its something for the fraud department to deal with, and she advised to go police and get a crime referance number in order to prove that i was innocent/victim.
However the manager was very rude and said theres nothing they can do and it was my fault and even if I did call the fraud department team, they wouldnt remove it. If this happens dont lose hope, go police and explain the situation and just be honest with them, theyre there to help u, I got a crime reference number. I went to some teachers at my school and explained the situation and showed them all the evidences I had such as screenshots and my teachers wrote me a statement confirming I was a victim and that they have seen the evidence (this step isnt necessarily important but it will help, if u go school/college please do this). I reporte it to Action Fraud and got a crime reference number from them as well
I called the bank fraud department team and I asked them to send me an email or their address, so that I can prove my innocence and they gave me their email.
I wrote my own statement (be formal and straight forward, dont hide anything and show ur innocence) and I gave them the teacher statement, and the police reference number from the police station as well the action fraud reference number and they removed it.
You dont necessarily need proper evidence of the case, as bank never asked for the screenshoots of the messages as the crime referance number should be enough to prove ur innocence, but if u have them it would help
It may be a bit harder for u since it happened years ago, but please try ur best by going to the police with the help of a teacher and just give the police all the details of the person who got u involved into this, in order to prove ur innocence, dont worry too much about this because the police are likely not to do anything at all tbh except help prove ur innocence
Dont worry about using someone else using ur bank account, as I did the same, the marker is there to show others that u willingly and knowingly let others use ur account for fraud or did the fraud urself, which u did not, please dont listen to others as im speaking from a similar situation and from experience so dont worry
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by idektbh12)
PLEASE GET IT REMOVED!
If you were actually innocent, by this i mean u didnt know that the money going into ur bank account was fraud money, firstly u need to call the fraud department and explain ur situation, and see their response. However I went to the branch instead and the lady there was extremely nice but said she cant do anything as its something for the fraud department to deal with, and she advised to go police and get a crime referance number in order to prove that i was innocent/victim.
However the manager was very rude and said theres nothing they can do and it was my fault and even if I did call the fraud department team, they wouldnt remove it. If this happens dont lose hope, go police and explain the situation and just be honest with them, theyre there to help u, I got a crime reference number. I went to some teachers at my school and explained the situation and showed them all the evidences I had such as screenshots and my teachers wrote me a statement confirming I was a victim and that they have seen the evidence (this step isnt necessarily important but it will help, if u go school/college please do this). I reporte it to Action Fraud and got a crime reference number from them as well
I called the bank fraud department team and I asked them to send me an email or their address, so that I can prove my innocence and they gave me their email.
I wrote my own statement (be formal and straight forward, dont hide anything and show ur innocence) and I gave them the teacher statement, and the police reference number from the police station as well the action fraud reference number and they removed it.
You dont necessarily need proper evidence of the case, as bank never asked for the screenshoots of the messages as the crime referance number should be enough to prove ur innocence, but if u have them it would help
It may be a bit harder for u since it happened years ago, but please try ur best by going to the police with the help of a teacher and just give the police all the details of the person who got u involved into this, in order to prove ur innocence, dont worry too much about this because the police are likely not to do anything at all tbh except help prove ur innocence
Dont worry about using someone else using ur bank account, as I did the same, the marker is there to show others that u willingly and knowingly let others use ur account for fraud or did the fraud urself, which u did not, please dont listen to others as im speaking from a similar situation and from experience so dont worry
Please do not bump old threads. Start a single new one.

(Duplicating my reply from elsewhere.)

I think you are being misleading by implying that every bank will remove a marker if you play the "I was too naïve to even know what was going on" card.

Yes, some might hypothetically remove a marker if you provide some evidence about what was going on, but equally they might not and statements like "Dont worry about using someone else using ur bank account" are really not helpful, nor is "the marker is there to show others that u willingly and knowingly let others use ur account for fraud" which is factually incorrect.

It's great if you got a marker removed but I think you are giving people a lot of false hope here just from your anecdotal experience.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads