The Student Room Group

Summer 2021 Exams Appeals Guide and FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by audxree
Hi, I'm sure you've received similar questions but I just wanted to double check. For my Psychology and Accounting exam I scored a C. However, the additional evidence which was said to be considered consisted of B's and A's. Do you think it's worth it appealing these grades? My teacher told me that these results are JUST the results we got in the assessment, but if we were 1 or 2 marks off they would look at previous results to push up our grades. I'm just confused on what I should do. I've received an unconditional offer at Kent, but it was my insurance and not what I wanted for myself :frown:

This sounds a bit confusing from your school. It doesn't sound like they've followed best practice, and the same evidence should be used for all students in a cohort wherever possible.

I would contact them and say you are considering an appeal, and ask exactly what evidence was used to determine your final grade (the school have to tell you this).

Personally, I think using one piece of evidence only is not good academic judgement and this would be grounds for appeal. You could also appeal if their procedures showed they used additional evidence for only some students.

If you do decide to appeal, contact your firm uni and let them know ASAP as well.

If you are not happy with Kent, do also consider that you have the option to resit and apply elsewhere next year.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
In the first instance you must talk to your school/exam centre.

There may still be people there if you go in person. Otherwise, I'd suggest emailing any general email address (or your head of sixth form) and asking for a phone call.

Thank you so much for your help. Also do you have any information on wanting to retake exams ?
This sounds a bit confusing from your school. It doesn't sound like they've followed best practice, and the same evidence should be used for all students in a cohort wherever possible.

I would contact them and say you are considering an appeal, and ask exactly what evidence was used to determine your final grade (the school have to tell you this).

Personally, I think using one piece of evidence only is not good academic judgement and this would be grounds for appeal. You could also appeal if their procedures showed they used additional evidence for only some students.

If you do decide to appeal, contact your firm uni and let them know ASAP as well.

If you are not happy with Kent, do also consider that you have the option to resit and apply elsewhere next year.

Thanks for the advice, I'm emailing my school at this very moment. But also how come I have to contact my uni? I'm only trying to change my grades, and they've accepted me with the ones I have already.
Original post by hhhhhhhh6
Thank you so much for your help. Also do you have any information on wanting to retake exams ?

I have a whole thread for it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7072676&p=95674789#post95674789

Please do let me know if you need any more help!
I've emailed my school asking for a break down of the marks I got in chemistry. I'll see what happens after that
I got rejected from my uni, and i have sent the grade appeal. Do I contact the uni now right?
Original post by ineedhelpsohelp
I've emailed my school asking for a break down of the marks I got in chemistry. I'll see what happens after that

Good luck!
Original post by ezpzlemonsqez
I got rejected from my uni, and i have sent the grade appeal. Do I contact the uni now right?

Yes, you do- otherwise they do not need to hold your place. Just to confirm, you have asked for a priority appeal.
Good luck!

Yes, you do- otherwise they do not need to hold your place. Just to confirm, you have asked for a priority appeal.

ok thanks, and yes i selected the priority appeal. do you know if priority appeals would give a better chance?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ezpzlemonsqez
ok thanks, and yes i selected the priority appeal. do you if priority appeals would give a better chance?

You need a priority appeal to get the result back in time to go to uni this year. It has no bearing on whether your grade is changed or not.
You need a priority appeal to get the result back in time to go to uni this year. It has no bearing on whether your grade is changed or not.

ok thanks again!
I have a whole thread for it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7072676&p=95674789#post95674789

Please do let me know if you need any more help!

Thank you so much for your help , do we have to pay for this year's retakes ?
@SarcAndSpark - this is one of the most helpful OPs on TSR at the moment. Well done, and thanks :smile:
Original post by hhhhhhhh6
Thank you so much for your help , do we have to pay for this year's retakes ?

There is no fee for autumn resits, but you may be charged to resit next summer- that would be at the discretion of your school/college.
Original post by Reality Check
@SarcAndSpark - this is one of the most helpful OPs on TSR at the moment. Well done, and thanks :smile:

That's very kind of you to say!
So my appeal is currently in stage two centre review, but I don't quite understand the final point on the appeal document my school sent. It says the following:
"I understand that there is no further opportunity to appeal to the awarding organisation and that the next stage would be to contact the regulator. The awarding organisation will include the next appropriate steps where applicable, in their appeal outcome letter which you will receive from your school/college."

Does this mean that this current appeal does not involve the exam board? Is "the regulator" the exam board?
Original post by Coolkingz
So my appeal is currently in stage two centre review, but I don't quite understand the final point on the appeal document my school sent. It says the following:
"I understand that there is no further opportunity to appeal to the awarding organisation and that the next stage would be to contact the regulator. The awarding organisation will include the next appropriate steps where applicable, in their appeal outcome letter which you will receive from your school/college."

Does this mean that this current appeal does not involve the exam board? Is "the regulator" the exam board?

I think they mean that once the stage two is over, you can't then go back to the exam board (the awarding organisation) and ask them to have another look- i.e. you can't appeal the exam board's decision.
I think they mean that once the stage two is over, you can't then go back to the exam board (the awarding organisation) and ask them to have another look- i.e. you can't appeal the exam board's decision.

Oh that's strange; for some reason I thought my school was the awarding organisation. So what do they mean when they say the next steps would be to contact the regulator? Is this essentially my final appeal?
Oh that's strange; for some reason I thought my school was the awarding organisation. So what do they mean when they say the next steps would be to contact the regulator? Is this essentially my final appeal?

The awarding organisation gives you your result- so the exam board.

They are basically saying you can't appeal twice.

The regulator in this situation is OfQual, I believe.
The awarding organisation gives you your result- so the exam board.

They are basically saying you can't appeal twice.

The regulator in this situation is OfQual, I believe.

This is my second appeal though?
This is my second appeal though?

No. This is the second stage of your first appeal.

Please read the OP of this thread carefully- I think it will help you understand what's going on a bit better.
No. This is the second stage of your first appeal.

Please read the OP of this thread carefully- I think it will help you understand what's going on a bit better.

I see now, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest