The Student Room Group

ABB Predicted in Medicine - Don't know what to do

Hi,

I got my predicted grades of ABB back and obviously I'm really disappointed, not sure if there's much I can do in terms of speaking to teachers as the school has stated that we should not contact our teachers and only contact the head of year if we feel there's a genuine mistake there. If I were to get a really good UCAT score, do you think AAA medical schools would still be open to giving me an offer? Or is a gap year my best bet. Any advice would REALLY be appreciated and you can give it to me straight, thank you :smile:
I know someone personally who got an offer from Birmingham with ABB, though he was contextual. Are you contextual?
Reply 2
Original post by c_u_r_r_y
Hi,

I got my predicted grades of ABB back and obviously I'm really disappointed, not sure if there's much I can do in terms of speaking to teachers as the school has stated that we should not contact our teachers and only contact the head of year if we feel there's a genuine mistake there. If I were to get a really good UCAT score, do you think AAA medical schools would still be open to giving me an offer? Or is a gap year my best bet. Any advice would REALLY be appreciated and you can give it to me straight, thank you :smile:

If you are non contextual, your best bet would be to take a gap year and achieve AAA or above and then apply for med schools. If you apply for medicine with ABB predicted grades, most universities will likely reject you straight away as you will not meet the minimum requirement for most med schools.
Reply 3
Hi,

Any improvement in predictions will open up more options, so I would try school to see if you can persuade them.
A high UCAT will not make up for missing minimum requirements.
It is different if you have WP flags? Do check websites carefully, as they differ for different med schools.

Otherwise, there are a few med schools that do not look at predictions, though their offer is still likely to be AAA. They are Liverpool (not considering predictions for 2022), Cardiff, Kent and Canterbury, Aston, Keele. Nottingham (and Lincoln) are unclear as the main website is contradicted by their admissions policy, so would be wise to check (I suspect they have just not updated the policy link yet).
Oxford also apparently say they do not look at predicted grades.

And then there is the option of achieving AAA and applying on a gap year.
Hi @c_u_r_r_y,

Kent rep here :smile: Unfortunately, KMMS does not accept applicants for the 2021 entry anymore. However, if you'd be interested in 2022 entry, have a look at our website: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2022/3737/medicine
Our typical entry requirements are AAB (which must include Chemistry or Biology, and one of either Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Psychology, Physics, Computing or Computer Science), however, we're open to applications from students offering a wide range of qualifications.

If there is anything I can help you with - let us know here or drop us a DM :smile: I would love to help!

- Agnes
Hi,

Hello @c_u_r_r_y,

I would encourage you to contact your head of year to discuss any possible increase in your predicted grades!

At the university of Liverpool, we are currently open to applicants for 2022 with typical entry requirements of AAA.

Medical schools, as you know, are super competitive. I think a gap year could be beneficial. If you were able to meet the minimum requirements for your chosen universities in this time, you could also get some experience or even go travelling to make the most of your time!

i hope this helps,

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student rep
Reply 6
Hi guys! Just a quick update - managed to get a review of my maths B predicted grade and it has now been changed to an A, and my chemistry B predicted grade is currently 'under review' and my teacher asked me for my UCAT score sheet (2760), so I'm hoping that it can get changed to an A too! Also asked my biology teacher whether a pracitcal write up we just did would contribute to our predicted grades, as I'm going to try and get that A up to an A* if at all possible, so hopefully I should come out with AAA predicteds or potentially even A*AA if I'm lucky, as my dream uni is currently Barts, I've got a 174 UCAS tarrif with AAA and a 182 UCAS tarriff with A*AA, so hopefully things work out!

thank you so much for the advice and motivation guys!!!
Reply 7
Did you get any offers?
Reply 8
Original post by yonoice
Did you get any offers?

yeah! i received offers from imperial and southampton and i'm currently at imperial - this was with AAA predicted as I only managed to get my 2 Bs up to As
Reply 9
yeah! i received offers from imperial and southampton and i'm currently at imperial - this was with AAA predicted as I only managed to get my 2 Bs up to As

That's great good luck

Quick Reply

Latest