The Student Room Group

Uni Mathematics Application

gonna be applying to maths at uni in a few months and i would really appreciate some tips on how i can boost my maths application. i had never planned on applying to maths or any stem subject so i don't have any awards or much experience with maths or any other stem subjects outside a classroom and my own personal learning and research.

edit: btw im scottish so the alevel advice won't be helpful
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Have been looking at this question over the last 2 months too. Based on that, they'd like to see wider engagement with the subject.

UKMT publishes a series of books described as 'Excursions in mathematics' that might be interestig to you.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prime-Puzzle-Martin-Griffiths/dp/1906001162
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backbone-Pascals-Triangle-Excursions-Mathematics/dp/1906001049

Prime Puzzles leads into a pretty accessible proof that is interesting.

STEP is worth giving a go and Silkos' advanced problems in mathematics are good problems to start with to begin preparation for the examination at the end of year 13.

Korner's Calculus for the ambitious is a nice supplement to A Level calculus and touches on multivariable calculus.

There are classics like Polga's How to solve it and more recent texts such as Alcock's how to study for a maths degree and; Houston's How to think like a mathematician that give puzzles and exercises and bridge the gap between A Level and University maths.

These are all just suggestions that might lead you in the right direction. What they want to see is wider engagement with the subject beyond the curriculum at A Level so reading and doing maths, participating in maths are all going to be strong signals that you are interested in your subject choice.
Original post by foobar123
Have been looking at this question over the last 2 months too. Based on that, they'd like to see wider engagement with the subject.

UKMT publishes a series of books described as 'Excursions in mathematics' that might be interestig to you.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prime-Puzzle-Martin-Griffiths/dp/1906001162
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backbone-Pascals-Triangle-Excursions-Mathematics/dp/1906001049

Prime Puzzles leads into a pretty accessible proof that is interesting.

STEP is worth giving a go and Silkos' advanced problems in mathematics are good problems to start with to begin preparation for the examination at the end of year 13.

Korner's Calculus for the ambitious is a nice supplement to A Level calculus and touches on multivariable calculus.

There are classics like Polga's How to solve it and more recent texts such as Alcock's how to study for a maths degree and; Houston's How to think like a mathematician that give puzzles and exercises and bridge the gap between A Level and University maths.

These are all just suggestions that might lead you in the right direction. What they want to see is wider engagement with the subject beyond the curriculum at A Level so reading and doing maths, participating in maths are all going to be strong signals that you are interested in your subject choice.

Thank you so much for the advice! Do you think it would be worthwhile to give STEP a go if I don't intend on applying to the universities that use it?
Original post by YoonminIsReal
Thank you so much for the advice! Do you think it would be worthwhile to give STEP a go if I don't intend on applying to the universities that use it?

Sure- if it's not going to crash you A Level results
I'd suggest looking at some uni level maths textbooks/lecture notes/similar to get an idea of exactly what it entails - the maths done in a maths degree is very unlike that done in A-level, so even if you enjoy the kind of maths you're doing now in A-level Maths and/or FM, that might not necessarily be an indicator you will enjoy or do well in degree level maths.

The maths done in a maths degree is much more abstract (even the "applied" maths courses are often reasonably abstract), and often proof based and the proofs are a lot more involved than the very basic introductions given in A-level FM I gather. I'd suggest looking at some kind of introductory analysis textbook (e.g. Spivak's Calculus) or some introductory (abstract) algebra textbook. Some linear algebra texts might also be relevant if they are focused on the more formal/proof based approach rather than an introduction into the computational methods of matrix algebra.

The above isn't specifically to "boost your application" but to actually verify if the type of maths done in a maths degree is for you! If you find you don't like that more abstract type stuff but do enjoy the material you've been doing in A-level Maths, then you may find a course in engineering or physics more appealing, as they will include a lot of maths in the same vein as A-level (you'll essentially use A-level Maths as a starting point then go from there, and you'll use those methods throughout the course in all your modules).

NO - do the UKMT challenges instead - far more useful.

Have you read any Maths books? Rob Eastaway has published some good ones that are interesting like Why do buses come in threes? How long is a piece of string?
Original post by Muttley79

Have you read any Maths books? Rob Eastaway has published some good ones that are interesting like Why do buses come in threes? How long is a piece of string?

I'm in the process of reading a book called "50 mathematical ideas you really need to know" by Tony Crilly and that's the most wider reading I've done in relation to maths. And thanks for the UKMT advice, have you applied to a maths course yourself?
I'm in the process of reading a book called "50 mathematical ideas you really need to know" by Tony Crilly and that's the most wider reading I've done in relation to maths. And thanks for the UKMT advice, have you applied to a maths course yourself?

Not recently! I teach Maths :smile:

UKMT has loads of great books too - most Maths departments have the Yearbooks which give all the questions from old papers.

Far more useful in what respect?

Edit: I'm also not sure if this is necessarily an 'or' or 'instead' proposition
(edited 2 years ago)
Far more useful in what respect?

Edit: I'm also not sure if this is necessarily an 'or' or 'instead' proposition

More useful than STEP if you don't need it
More useful than STEP if you don't need it

Towards what end? That's really what I was asking.
(edited 2 years ago)
Towards what end? That's really what I was asking.

Better for your PS - better for developing problem solving - STC follow-on round is a great addition to an application.
STC follow-on round is a great addition to an application

what dos this mean?
Better for your PS - better for developing problem solving - STC follow-on round is a great addition to an application.

I see. I've seen data that seems to indicate STEP scores correlate better with undergraduate success than UKMT and Olympiad results so I'm not sure how certain we can be about whether one is better on the whole as a preparation for university-- and if we did make a punt I'd argue the long-form STEP questions are better suited.

UKMT results can be placed on an application and that is a distinct advantage if done before an application is sent (will this be true for y13 students?). Problem solving skills are good, for sure, but I don't know if the capitalised 'NO' you gave towards STEP is warranted.
what dos this mean?

Senior Maths Comp amd Senior Team Maths comp [UKMT] - being invited to the next round ...
https://www.ukmt.org.uk/smc
what dos this mean?

Once you've sat the SMC, there are BMO and IMO rounds if you place well. When sitting for A Levels initially (I was sick and had to stop studying), for instance, I sat UKMT, BMO1 and 2 and was offered a place at Trinity Camp for IMO prep before leaving school.
(edited 2 years ago)
I see. I've seen data that seems to indicate STEP scores correlate better with undergraduate success than UKMT and Olympiad results so I'm not sure how certain we can be about whether one is better on the whole as a preparation for university-- and if we did make a punt I'd argue the long-form STEP questions are better suited.

UKMT results can be placed on an application and that is a distinct advantage if done before an application is sent (will this be true for y13 students?). Problem solving skills are good, for sure, but I don't know if the capitalised 'NO' you gave towards STEP is warranted.

Schools won't pay for STEP if you don't need it - do you teach Maths?

UKMT mentoring scheme is better anyway

Oh- our school offers it even for those who don't have STEP required in an offer. That's a shame. Worth considering if that's the case-- hadn't realised some won't allow students to sit it if not needed for an offer.
(edited 2 years ago)

Considering my application will be sent off by next January, is it too late for me to be getting involved in all this?
Oh- our school offers it even for those who don't have STEP required in an offer. That's a shame. Worth considering if that's the case-- hadn't realised some won't allow students to sit it if not needed for an offer.

Last year you could only sit it if you held an offer requiring it - not a school rule ...

Quick Reply

Latest