Unhappy with my Second Year Grade

Watch this thread
anniepickup
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’m doing an English Literature degree at uni and I’ve just finished my second year. At my uni, my second year is weighted 50% and my final year is the other 50% of my final grade.

We just got our results and I’ve passed this year with a 63.5, (a low 2:1, most likely due to two 2:2s that i got while i was struggling with my mental health). I’ve done the maths and in order to get a first overall I need to get a 76.5 overall next year - which seems a near impossible feat.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this? I was really hoping to graduate university with a first but it doesn’t seem possible for me anymore and I’m feeling very dejected.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by anniepickup)
I’m doing an English Literature degree at uni and I’ve just finished my second year. At my uni, my second year is weighted 50% and my final year is the other 50% of my final grade.

We just got our results and I’ve passed this year with a 63.5, (a low 2:1, most likely due to two 2:2s that i got while i was struggling with my mental health). I’ve done the maths and in order to get a first overall I need to get a 76.5 overall next year - which seems a near impossible feat.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this? I was really hoping to graduate university with a first but it doesn’t seem possible for me anymore and I’m feeling very dejected.
Did you let your uni know about your mental health? Depending on their policies it might be too late to do anything about it now the marks have officially been released, but it's still a good idea to let them know.

In my case, when I was really struggling with mental health I let them know, and they discounted a couple of marks that were way out of line to my average, so maybe that's something they could do?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

Hi! anniepickup

I'm so sorry to hear this.
I had a similar issue as you in my second year.

Although your course states 2nd year is worth 50%, the way in which your course and uni calculate your final grade may differ.
Initially, they might calculate it as 50%.
Or 2nd year as 40% and 3rd year as 60%, minus your two worst grades/modules (1 from each year). So this would cancel one of your worst grades.
Or counting 3rd year as 100%.
Even if you came out with 69% they might round this to a first.

Every university and course is different, soI would check your university board of examiners regulations. There should be a document available to you to read. If you're not sure contact your tutor. I would contact them anyways about your situation and they might be able to put something in place for you now. Such as academic support and wellbeing for your mental health.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

It's a shame that you didn't alert the university to your MH issues before taking the assessments, as some sort of allowance could have been considered. It's too late now, as retrospective ECs cannot be made, for obvious reasons. It might be worth checking with your tutor, but I think that avenue is probably closed now. Regardless of whether or not anything can be done about last year's result, you should make your tutor and the university aware of your health issues (if they're ongoing, or likely to recur), so things can be put in place at a later date in your final year should they be necessary.

You just have to go onwards and upwards from here. There's no point dwelling on what's past, and neither is there much point crying over spilt milk. You might surprise yourself and get that final year 76 - who knows? The only thing you can do from here is to work as hard as you can, aim for that 76 and if you fall short, then you're still going to end up with a high 2i, which isn't too shabby!
anniepickup
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by thegalaxy)
Did you let your uni know about your mental health? Depending on their policies it might be too late to do anything about it now the marks have officially been released, but it's still a good idea to let them know.

In my case, when I was really struggling with mental health I let them know, and they discounted a couple of marks that were way out of line to my average, so maybe that's something they could do?
I have my pre-existing mental health condition listed as a disability on my student profile.
Apart from the 57 and the 52 that I got in December, I’ve never gotten lower than a 65 throughout the year. I would’ve applied for mitigating circumstances sooner but I miscalculated how much these two grades would affect my final mark.
I think it’s probably too late but I’ve emailed my supervisor to see if anything can be done at this stage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads