Can a psychotherapist get accepted into a clinical psychology doctoral program

Watch
DiogoAlves___
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey, I am currently half way through my bachelors degree and I’m curious about future career pathways. My question is, for example if someone had a masters related to psychotherapy and supervised experience in psychotherapy, would it be difficult for them to be accepted onto a clinical psychology doctorate program. I’m asking this because I have been perusing a career as a clinical psychologist since I first began my degree but I have since become interested in psychotherapy, but I am scared that if I choose to peruse a career as a psychotherapist but then decided that clinical psychology is more appropriate for me, would it be difficult to make that transition? I’m also asking this because a lot of the pathways into clinical psychology doctoral programs seem to be centered around people doing assistant psychologist posts and they seem to indicate that that’s the most viable route into a clinical psychology doctorate.
In essence my questions is experience in psychotherapy considered relevant to be considered for a psychology doctorate
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiogoAlves___)
Hey, I am currently half way through my bachelors degree and I’m curious about future career pathways. My question is, for example if someone had a masters related to psychotherapy and supervised experience in psychotherapy, would it be difficult for them to be accepted onto a clinical psychology doctorate program. I’m asking this because I have been perusing a career as a clinical psychologist since I first began my degree but I have since become interested in psychotherapy, but I am scared that if I choose to peruse a career as a psychotherapist but then decided that clinical psychology is more appropriate for me, would it be difficult to make that transition? I’m also asking this because a lot of the pathways into clinical psychology doctoral programs seem to be centered around people doing assistant psychologist posts and they seem to indicate that that’s the most viable route into a clinical psychology doctorate.
In essence my questions is experience in psychotherapy considered relevant to be considered for a psychology doctorate
It's certainly possible if you have the right qualifications. You might consider looking for roles that allow you to work alongside psychologists still. Psychotherapy experience could also potentially help you gain an assistant psychologist role or similar. The experience is definitely relevant, though, yes.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiogoAlves___)
*programme
lozzyhickers
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it would be considered to be relevant experience. Just note (as I’m sure you know) that quality of experience is the most important over quantity, so just having the qualification isn’t a sure fire way in, you’d still need to demonstrate the skills, awareness etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads