Should people go out of their way to accept black culture

Watch this thread
fnxz_87
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Not necessarily that of Sub-saharan Africa itself but of the westernised forms in America and here. Just seems vile mostly to be frank.
Bagration
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fnxz_87)
Not necessarily that of Sub-saharan Africa itself but of the westernised forms in America and here. Just seems vile mostly to be frank.
Indeed. I would never accept it personally. Jamaican is okay but the rest... nah.
kjc_us
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Just because you don't like it, why can't you accept it?
Bagration
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Depends what you mean by accept.
Johan C
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Exactly how racist are you ?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Can we define "go out of our way"..."accept" and "black culture" please?
fnxz_87
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by kjc_us)
Just because you don't like it, why can't you accept it?
materialism, total obsession with sex, pursuit of dominance, crudeness, low on rational debate, ridiculous slogans
Charlybob
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Accept, yes they should. To adapt our own to give others as much familiarity as possible, no.
Democracy
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
materialism, total obsession with sex, pursuit of dominance, crudeness, low on rational debate, ridiculous slogans
Many white people also have these characteristics.

OP confirmed as troll :yes:
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Black culture is very influential; especially in the area of the arts - like music, for example. White musicians would probably see this as a threat from black supremacy. Morrissey brought this up in an interview, after which the press slated him. However, the press also knew that Morrissey loved 60s black artists. Morrissey, of course, wasn't being racist, but rather highlighting that supremacy of one can overtake another almost with dire consquences.
Bagration
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Modern black youth culture has an unhealthy respect for breaking the law.
All at once
Badges: 10
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
Is one's inclination to break the law really linked to their skin colour?
Democracy
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Surely a generalisation? Most black err youths don't break the law.
Bagration
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by All at once)
Is one's inclination to break the law really linked to their skin colour?
No.

But their culture is linked to their skin colour.
Eragon452
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Many white people also have these characteristics.

OP confirmed as troll :yes:
And considering it's "Americanised" rappers, surely it's the fault of white people in America, as African culture was never based on all that stuff.
Mrs.X
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Are you just jealous you're not as sexy as Thierry Henry?

Just get over it, you're so ridiculous
Bagration
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Surely a generalisation? Most black err youths don't break the law.
Yeah alright, I never said they did, I said they had respect for it.

But whatever, I'm not a black youth in Brixton, I didn't have a ****** up youth where da po-leese harassed me, my parents didn't let me skive off school and I didn't start drinking when I was 10 years old, what would I know about what some people have to put up with in life :rolleyes:

I guess as a middle class eurasian I have to have respect for a culture that I find nothing in common with and almost everything to despise. Otherwise, I'm racist, right :rolleyes:

edit: post edited for grammar.
A is for Awesome
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
This describes most white people too.
FyreFight
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I'm amazed that there are people actually trying to deny that criminality, misogyny, violence and other distasteful elements are glamorised in mainstream black culture.

Obviously, it's not solely a black cultural trait, but it's far more prominent than most of the various Western white, Asian, Oriental (etc) cultures.
A is for Awesome
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Yeah alright, I never said they did, I said they had respect for it.

But whatever, I'm not a black youth in Brixton, I didn't have a ****** up youth where da po-leese harassed me, my parents didn't let me skive off school and I didn't start drinking when I was 10 years old, what would I know about what some people have to put up with in life :rolleyes:

I guess as a middle class eurasian I have to have respect for a culture that I find nothing in common with and almost everything to despise. Otherwise, I'm racist, right :rolleyes:

edit: post edited for grammar.
Culture does not equal circumstance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
28.04%
Take a gap year (16)
14.95%
Resit my exams (30)
28.04%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (15)
14.02%
I don't know yet (11)
10.28%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.67%

Watched Threads