The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bagration
Yeah alright, I never said they did, I said they had respect for it.

But whatever, I'm not a black youth in Brixton, I didn't have a ****** up youth where da po-leese harassed me, my parents didn't let me skive off school and I didn't start drinking when I was 10 years old, what would I know about how some people have to put up with in life :rolleyes:

I guess as a middle class eurasian I have to have respect for a culture that I find nothing in common with and almost everything to despise. Otherwise, I'm racist, right :rolleyes:

In all fairness, again, you're just generalising. Obviously if all black culture and black people were like the above, then fair enough. Though most of them are just as respectable and law abiding as you and I.
Democracy
In all fairness, again, you're just generalising. Obviously if all black culture and black people were like the above, then fair enough. Though most of them are just as respectable and law abiding as you and I.

and

A is for Awesome
Culture does not equal circumstance.
Circumstance generates culture. There are most certainly black people in Britain who do not lead the lifestyle I described, but the ones who do are dragged into the black youth culture.
Reply 22
Mrs.X
Are you just jealous you're not as sexy as Thierry Henry? :smile:

Just get over it, you're so ridiculous

Thierry who?
FyreFight
I'm amazed that there are people actually trying to deny that criminality, misogyny, violence and other distasteful elements are glamorised in mainstream black culture.

Obviously, it's not solely a black cultural trait, but it's far more prominent than most of the various Western white cultures.

Black culture does not begin and end with gangsta rap.
I have to sleep now, 2.30 nights every day are killing me, I'd ujst like to say one thing;

Think very carefully about whether you want to believe something because you don't want to be racist or whether you want to look at something objectively and decide based on that.
Bagration
I have to sleep now, 2.30 nights every day are killing me, I'd ujst like to say one thing;

Your profile suggests otherwise :cool: Btw Margaret Thatcher impersonations are so passé :p:
The initial question is ridiculous, but I'm more intrigued by Bagrations point. I'm not entirely comfortable with people seeing black culture as glamorising violence, dominance over woman, etc etc. There are positive influences on 'black culture' as well.
Whoa, you're generalising massively here. You mean "ghetto" culture. That is bad, an offspring of the low socio-economic status of many black people, combined with the black power movement of the sixties and seventies. Much of the black community became violent, and anti-establishment.
Before that, came the joys of blues and jazz and the non-violent civil rights movement. Don't put black people in one general category, because you're wrong.

We shouldn't accept ghetto culture. It is a cultural cancer which is a result of hatred and poverty, and it is not just a black thing either, not anymore.
Reply 28
fnxz_87
Not necessarily that of Sub-saharan Africa itself but of the westernised forms in America and here. Just seems vile mostly to be frank.

Wow someones on a race hate roll tonight arent they, this is the second post youre trying to incite arguments over race on
A is for Awesome

Exactly.
Reply 30
oh this old Hip-Hop is ruining our society argument.
Dumb fukks, go read the daily mail.
A is for Awesome

Of course not, although that's doubtlessly one of the most popular facets of their culture. But it's fairly pervasive throughout other examples. Various elements of Hip hop, as well as Grime, R&B etc. Even black film is often also aimed at those values. It's no shock that Kidulthood (and, with it, Adulthood) are two of the most successful recent media products to have come from that scene.
FyreFight
Of course not, although that's doubtlessly the most popular facet of their culture. But it's fairly pervasive throughout other examples. Various elements of Hip hop, as well as Grime, R&B etc. Even black film is often also aimed at those values. It's no shock that Kidulthood (and, with it, Adulthood) are two of the most successful recent media products to have come from that scene.

Have a big guess why.
FyreFight
Of course not, although that's doubtlessly one of the most popular facets of their culture. But it's fairly pervasive throughout other examples. Various elements of Hip hop, as well as Grime, R&B etc. Even black film is often also aimed at those values. It's no shock that Kidulthood (and, with it, Adulthood) are two of the most successful recent media products to have come from that scene.

To be fair, I reckon the list of of movies that show black culture in a positive light far outweighs the list that shows them in a negative one.
Reply 34
donmcl777
Wow someones on a race hate roll tonight arent they, this is the second post youre trying to incite arguments over race on

I dont think it is race hate. Its the culture and the values of the westernised form not a fault of Africans in their own environment
Reply 35
I don't get why people can't accept black people. There's nothing wrong with them. They are just like everyone else, they have pros and cons. I think it's sad that some people are still racist today.
Reply 36
fnxz_87
materialism, total obsession with sex, pursuit of dominance, crudeness, low on rational debate, ridiculous slogans

For a moment there I thought you were describing white people. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, we're all as bad as one another concerning the aforementioned. Race has nothing to do with it.
Reply 37
fnxz_87
I dont think it is race hate. Its the culture and the values of the westernised form not a fault of Africans in their own environment

Then perhaps its the corrupting power of western culture that has led to the evolution of this mentality that you find vile
sophie192
I don't get why people can't accept black people. There's nothing wrong with them. They are just like everyone else, they have pros and cons. I think it's sad that some people are still racist today.

This debate has nothing to do with black people. Black people and black culture are entirely separable entities.
A is for Awesome
This describes most white people too.

So true. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending