hei_hin123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I am about to start a level aqa psychology the coming school year, does anyone know how I can prepare for that during the break? I am not good at biology and math which I heard there will be some elements of it in the subject. Plus people would have done gcse psychology at the school I will be going to (it is a new school and I have never done psychology before). Therefore I want to spend some time preparing so I won't be too far behind once I start.

Also does anyone have a recommendation to which study guide/ exercise book I should get? There's seems to be quite a few out there!

Thank you
kylalee.x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do aqa psych and tbh I did do it at gcse so I didn’t prepare for it BUT the maths in it is incredibly basic like fractions, maybe some percentages - the biology is also relatively basic and not difficult so don’t worry about, if you have a textbook for it maybe just read a bit ahead, but even if you don’t I guarantee it will not make a difference.

I personally don’t enjoy psychology I find it boring, but so many people enjoy it so I hope you will too - best of luck !
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did psychology having not done the GCSE and was fine with only printing and looking over the specification. The only biology is in biopsychology and the maths is straightforward (percentages, averages, ratios)
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hei_hin123)
Hi everyone,

I am about to start a level aqa psychology the coming school year, does anyone know how I can prepare for that during the break? I am not good at biology and math which I heard there will be some elements of it in the subject. Plus people would have done gcse psychology at the school I will be going to (it is a new school and I have never done psychology before). Therefore I want to spend some time preparing so I won't be too far behind once I start.

Also does anyone have a recommendation to which study guide/ exercise book I should get? There's seems to be quite a few out there!

Thank you
I am about to start a level aqa psychology the coming school year, does anyone know how I can prepare for that during the break?
You do not need to prepare for A-Level Psychology. Enjoy your break. If you really want to do something, then start thinking about ways that you will make your revision resources. What type of learner are you? Do you prefer flashcards, mind maps, posters, voice notes, quizzes etc.

I am not good at biology and math which I heard there will be some elements of it in the subject.
Biology does crop up in Psychology but most of the concepts are those that you are not expected to know at GCSE anyway. If you want to learn a bit of the Biology content, learn the following:
Parts of the brain (Frontal lobe, parietal lobe, temporal lobe, occipital lobe, cerebrum, cerebellum, brain stem, diencephalon)
Function of the brain and the spinal cord
Difference between genotype and phenotype
Types of neurons (sensory, relay and motor)

GCSE Mathematics does form part of the A-Level course but they are very simple concepts. This is what you will need to know:
7 Mathematical requirements and exemplification
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...82-SP-2015.PDF

Plus people would have done gcse psychology at the school I will be going to (it is a new school and I have never done psychology before)
Many students do not do GCSE Psychology (me included) and cope fine with A-Level Psychology. Keep on top of your revision and do plenty of exam-questions. You will be fine.

Also does anyone have a recommendation to which study guide/ exercise book I should get?
Do not buy any revision guides/textbooks yet. Your school may offer them at a discount. Use these websites for now:
https://www.revisely.co.uk/alevel/psychology/aqa/
https://studywise.co.uk/a-level-revision/psychology/
https://studyrocket.co.uk/revision/a...psychology-aqa

Let me know if you have any other questions or if anything here was unclear.
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn't do psychology GCSE, and I'm not really into biology or maths. It's pretty basic, I'm sure you'll be okay! Very little biology or maths actually in it, and the maths is mostly easy statistics.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hei_hin123)
Hi everyone,

Thank you
hei_hin123
Hello! I am just finishing off my MSc in Psychology. As with studying anything, it is important to not dive into in-depth stuff right away. A useful book is by Coolican 'research methods and statistics in psychology' - it will certainly be useful if you carry on to do a degree in it too. For now, I would recommend checking out some YouTube videos about Stanley Milgram, Solomon Asch, and Phillip Zimbardo to get a feel for experimental psychology

Erving Goffman's 'the presentation of self in everyday life' is a really useful and fun book for social psychology too, I took a copy to Ibiza to read by the pool

I'm sure you will do great!

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads