The Student Room Group

Did I cheat?

Hi there and thank you for any help- I’m finding things really hard right now.

a while ago, whilst I was in a relationship (that I’m still in) I let a guy flirt with me and I sort of flirted back. For instance, I let him believe I would move in with him and when he sent me inappropriate images I told him his penis was big, even though I hadn’t looked at it. I did these flirty things because his best friend was very manipulative and told me he would hurt me if I did anything wrong. I knew I had no feelings for him but did it to keep the peace. He told me that because I was saying things like this I was cheating on my boyfriend and I should be ashamed of myself. After this I was r*ped by the guy and he said it was my fault because I led him on.

Was this cheating?

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a bf now? If yes, go to him and confess what happened. He'll be the one to decide whether its cheating or not.
(edited 2 years ago)
First of all rape is never excusable. You can't be blamed for that, but I would have recognised earlier on that you were getting manipulated into a tight spot. You should have ideally kept a good distance from this person, no texts nothing.

The actual sex situation can't be really cheating if it's rape, but i don't know what led up that moment or if you were messing around before that or getting cosy, because that would have been cheating. The texts are disloyal in my view yes. Some people will argue flirty texts or compliments are not exactly cheating but it's still not ok. Also how come you made him believe you would move in? That's a bit extreme?

Anyway very sorry to hear that that happened to you and hope you are getting support to deal with it...
Ultimately i think you should tell your boyfriend what you can, and get this burden off your chest. It's only fair to him too.
Not cheating.
But it does sound like you allowed banter and sordid online chats with the creepy perv to go too far, when you should have blocked him or ignored all his messages.
That said, there is no justification for anyone to commit sexual assault or criminal punishment violence.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JAckieee.chan
Do you have a bf now? If yes, go to him and confess what happened. He'll be the one to decide whether its cheating or not.
Generally Getting raped is not cheating but reading your post it feels like you kindaaaa led him on. So not sure if it can be considered as rape

It doesn't matter if she 'led him on', if consent was not given at the time, then it was rape. Pretty simple.
Original post by Anonymous

a while ago, whilst I was in a relationship (that I’m still in) I let a guy flirt with me and I sort of flirted back. For instance, I let him believe I would move in with him and when he sent me inappropriate images I told him his penis was big, even though I hadn’t looked at it. I did these flirty things because his best friend was very manipulative and told me he would hurt me if I did anything wrong. I knew I had no feelings for him but did it to keep the peace. He told me that because I was saying things like this I was cheating on my boyfriend and I should be ashamed of myself. After this I was r*ped by the guy and he said it was my fault because I led him on.

Was this cheating?

You should speak to your boyfriend about this seriously. I think that maybe you shouldn't have flirted with him and said you would move in with hi,, even if you were being threatened, however, being raped is not cheating. If your boyfriend believes it is then get rid of him lol.
I'm sorry this happened to you.
Reply 5
First of all rape is never excusable. You can't be blamed for that, but I would have recognised earlier on that you were getting manipulated into a tight spot. You should have ideally kept a good distance from this person, no texts nothing.

The actual sex situation can't be really cheating if it's rape, but i don't know what led up that moment or if you were messing around before that or getting cosy, because that would have been cheating. The texts are disloyal in my view yes. Some people will argue flirty texts or compliments are not exactly cheating but it's still not ok. Also how come you made him believe you would move in? That's a bit extreme?

Anyway very sorry to hear that that happened to you and hope you are getting support to deal with it...
Ultimately i think you should tell your boyfriend what you can, and get this burden off your chest. It's only fair to him too.

Thanks for the response I really appreciate it.

My boyfriend knows about this and is understanding and doesn’t think I cheated, which I guess is all that matters?

As for the moving in thing, I was planning on moving out with some friends at the time and he suggested I should move in with him, too (before everything happened obviously)

I understand the rape wasn’t my fault, and I have never done anything to suggest I would want anything to happen and always stated I wanted things to be platonic and always said we would just be friends, I think I’m just more worried that my flirtatious messages would be classed as cheating?
Yes you were cheating as you were flirting with and chatting sexually with another guy whilst in a relationship. You were also leading the other guy on since you say you had no interest in him.

However, that doesn’t excuse rape.
It’s not your fault he raped you-that’s on him.

I hope you are getting some support through this.
Thanks for the response I really appreciate it.

My boyfriend knows about this and is understanding and doesn’t think I cheated, which I guess is all that matters?

As for the moving in thing, I was planning on moving out with some friends at the time and he suggested I should move in with him, too (before everything happened obviously)

I understand the rape wasn’t my fault, and I have never done anything to suggest I would want anything to happen and always stated I wanted things to be platonic and always said we would just be friends, I think I’m just more worried that my flirtatious messages would be classed as cheating?

Did your bf know about the flirtatious messages and still say it wasn't cheating?
Reply 8

Was this cheating?

For context, this was a guy from my small college who I was good friends with before hand.
Reply 9
Did your bf know about the flirtatious messages and still say it wasn't cheating?

Yes. My boyfriend saw all the messages as I never initiated anything and responded with something to remind him that we were just friends. As for the times I felt scared to upset him, my boyfriend understood that too.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Yes you were cheating as you were flirting with and chatting sexually with another guy whilst in a relationship. You were also leading the other guy on since you say you had no interest in him.

However, that doesn’t excuse rape.
It’s not your fault he raped you-that’s on him.

I hope you are getting some support through this.

Thank you for responding.

I have never spoken sexually with him until the one message mentioned above, does this still make it cheating?
Yes. My boyfriend saw all the messages as I never initiated anything and responded with something to remind him that we were just friends. As for the times I felt scared to upset him, my boyfriend understood that too.

Then i guess all that matters is how he feels about it. But i think it shouldn't happen again, these things sit on a red line... next time you feel coercion like this start in any way, share it with your bf. It sounds like he's very understanding, others wouldn't always be like that

also be careful who you let into your life, you never know how people can turn....good luck
Thank you for responding.

I have never spoken sexually with him until the one message mentioned above, does this still make it cheating?

Yes.
not cheating. sounds like youve had a hard time and maybe tell your boyfriend everything that happened
Reply 14
Why would you flirt to 'keep the peace'? It was emotional cheating because you kept it going when you had other options; if it bothered you so much why didn't you block the messages or report the threats of being hurt to the police, or at least tell your boyfriend what was going on at the time?

However, nothing excuses the guy for a physical attack. I hope you reported the rape and are getting support for that.

Was this cheating?

What no he raped you he should be reported
i feel like i'm the only one who read the post.
you flirted with a guy because someone threatened to hurt you if you didn't, and then he raped you
definitely not cheating
giving someone your money cause they're mugging you isn't charity, saying those things because someone threatened to hurt you isn't flirting.
i hope your bf understands
[b{I told him his penis was big,
even though I hadn’t looked at it. I did these flirty things because his best friend was very manipulative and told me he would hurt me if I did anything wrong. I knew I had no feelings for him but did it to keep the peace. He told me that because I was saying things like this I was cheating on my boyfriend and I should be ashamed of myself. After this I was r*ped by the guy and he said it was my fault because I led him on.

Was this cheating?

in general terms, no you didn’t cheat......

however, I do think that the sequence of events that happened beforehand could have been prevented.

With the whole threats and stuff - you could have easily got authorities involved, just one example.

but I understand that it might have been a very hard time for you, so don’t worry too much about it. I hope the guy is being dealt with accordingly now.

Was this cheating?

You should not have subtly dropped that you were raped. You did not cheat but you were raped. Two different things. Go to the feds and have the guy locked up. He could rape another woman and blame it on her.
Original post by Wired_1800
You should not have subtly dropped that you were raped. You did not cheat but you were raped. Two different things. Go to the feds and have the guy locked up. He could rape another woman and blame it on her.

i think with the whole entertaining conversations while in a relationship could be viewed as cheating by many - if you look at it from face value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending