The Student Room Group

STP genomic counselling 2022/2023

Hi everyone!

So I recently graduated from university with a 1st in genetics. I'm looking to go into the STP programme for genomic counselling. HOWEVER, I am severely lacking in experience. By the 2022 application cut off date I would have 900+ hours working as a support worker for disabled adults (a few of whom have genetic diseases). I've also done some voluntary work in university with disabled adults, and worked as a co-creater and admin of an online support group for people with depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues in my free time.

I am currently attempting to get helpline work (I have got interviews with the samaritans and familyline so far), and have signed up for the genomic counselling course on futurelearn although they have not published start dates yet.

I was looking into counselling courses, but it seems all the free ones available online are only free if you live in England, and I live in Wales. I don't have the funds to pay for a course right now.

Does anyone have any tips for me to improve my application for 2022? I have severe doubts I will be accepted then, but I do want to try my best regardless.

Thank you!
Original post by LilaCM
Hi everyone!

So I recently graduated from university with a 1st in genetics. I'm looking to go into the STP programme for genomic counselling. HOWEVER, I am severely lacking in experience. By the 2022 application cut off date I would have 900+ hours working as a support worker for disabled adults (a few of whom have genetic diseases). I've also done some voluntary work in university with disabled adults, and worked as a co-creater and admin of an online support group for people with depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues in my free time.

I am currently attempting to get helpline work (I have got interviews with the samaritans and familyline so far), and have signed up for the genomic counselling course on futurelearn although they have not published start dates yet.

I was looking into counselling courses, but it seems all the free ones available online are only free if you live in England, and I live in Wales. I don't have the funds to pay for a course right now.

Does anyone have any tips for me to improve my application for 2022? I have severe doubts I will be accepted then, but I do want to try my best regardless.

Thank you!

Hi sorry just seeing this. Can I ask how far you got/if you were successful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending