The Student Room Group

Do women need to be on birth control?

I've seen a lot of men say that they'd want / expect their girlfriends to be on birth control - is this true? Can't you just use condoms?

I'm not on birth control (don't have a boyf rn), and don't plan on ever being on it, as it causes so many negative side effects. Will this effect a relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Condoms are not always 100%, obviously if they split or something. I'm not on birth control personally, as I'm not sexually active, but I would guess girls would have it for a sense of extra protection. Some girls have the implant / pills to control their periods anyway
Reply 2
Not every woman can use birth control, so it's an unfair expectation to say contraception is their responsibility. Plus it's not 100% reliable and it doesn't protect against STIs.
Reply 3
I don't think most guys even think about birth control or even know it exists. I don't know where you live to hear alot of men say that "expect" a girl to have birth control.
For me, birth control is just far easier and less restrictive. It's obviously up to your discretion though and not every boy will expect it. There are plenty of options though really.
Original post by Noshot
I don't think most guys even think about birth control or even know it exists. I don't know where you live to hear alot of men say that "expect" a girl to have birth control.

What guys are you meeting that don't know birth control exists??
Men always feel like they have the right to tell us what to do with our bodies it's actually annoying.

Personally I'd choose to be on birth control because it's way safer despite the never ending list of side effects, but as soon as a man tells me that they "want" or "expect" me to be on it they can leave.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ashtolga23
What guys are you meeting that don't know birth control exists??

Normal blokes?
As a girl I hate condoms so I got the implant
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
As a girl I hate condoms so I got the implant

but don't you still need to wear condoms with the implant otherwise you'll catch STDs...
No, I refuse to take contraception as a woman, and would not even consider it until i found a partner for life. Even then i'm not happy about it

Because i made that decision, i don't engage in random sex often and am not in a LTR, so I take responsibility for my decisions. I've had to rely on condoms and morning after pills on the odd/rare occasions i do have sex with someone. Guys can be surprisingly ignorant and irresponsible about contraception, hence i don't even get involved with a guy who isn't clued up and sensitive to it.
No, I refuse to take contraception as a woman, and would not even consider it until i found a partner for life. Even then i'm not happy about it

Because i made that decision, i don't engage in random sex often and am not in a LTR, so I take responsibility for my decisions. I've had to rely on condoms and morning after pills on the odd/rare occasions i do have sex with someone. Guys can be surprisingly ignorant and irresponsible about contraception, hence i don't even get involved with a guy who isn't clued up and sensitive to it.

by contraception there i only mean the birth control pill!
No and I wouldn't take it if I was you, I was hospitalised after getting multiple blood clots in my lungs because of birth control
but don't you still need to wear condoms with the implant otherwise you'll catch STDs...

I get tested regularly
I get tested regularly

And the other person?
I've seen a lot of men say that they'd want / expect their girlfriends to be on birth control - is this true?

Imo, if a guy ''expects'' you to be on birth control, or says that women ''need'' to be on birth control, he can leave.
I've seen a lot of men say that they'd want / expect their girlfriends to be on birth control - is this true? Can't you just use condoms?

I'm not on birth control (don't have a boyf rn), and don't plan on ever being on it, as it causes so many negative side effects. Will this effect a relationship?

Abstinence is the best form of birth control.

Depends on your situation. You can't create an STD out of nowhere so if you and a regular partner of yours are clean and exclusive then you're fine.
Any man who's worth having sex with won't expect a woman to mess with her hormones and potentially risk STDs or discomfort (not everyone likes being came inside) in order to experience a little bit more pleasure from having sex without a condom. With that being said, condoms do have a relatively high failure rate so they're best combined with other methods if used. But there are a lot of options out there and birth control pills definitely aren't the best solution for everybody, so you never have to take birth control if you don't want to.

Or you could just have sex responsibly and make sure both you and your partner get tested before you have sex...

I wouldn't rely on just condoms for contraception, personally. But I prefer having sex with a condom as it's less messy. Guys don't like it because they can't feel as much with a condom but as a girl, it makes no difference to sensation for me.

Quick Reply

Latest