The Student Room Group

Do women need to be on birth control?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
Do you support generalising other groups such as Muslims?

Some such groups have been compared to the group that assassinated the fourth Caliph. :smile:
Original post by DiddyDec
Sexist with a hint of racism, aren't you a pleasant individual.

I'm dead.
What are you even saying? Where is the racism in what I just said? Check yourself.
Original post by not_0kay
I'm dead.
What are you even saying? Where is the racism in what I just said? Check yourself.

Check yourself? Check myself for tick bites, lumpy testicles, what exactly am I supposed to be checking?
Original post by _gcx
I think it might be best to clarify that you mean the ethnicity of the woman matters, as opposed to the man, since this could be misunderstood. Assuming of course that's what you meant.

Yeah I meant the ethnicity of the woman I'll put that in an edit thanks for letting me know how it could've been perceived
Original post by Sabertooth
My spouse and I only use condoms and in 10 years not a single one has split. Also no baby.

poor guy he must not feel much, and how do you get into bed and then gotta put that thing on...kinda kills the flow
I don't have to convince anyone when what I'm saying is literally factual. The amount of men that treat women poorly (to put it lightly) is a majority. Obviously I'm not dense I know that not every single man on this Earth is like that, but these men that aren't like that need to be the ones that stand with women instead of arguing against them about the issues that they face.

Many people would disagree. I don't know any women that have been mistreated by the majority of men they have come across, and I've only encountered a handful of misogynistic men. I of course don't know what happens between them behind closed doors. But I feel "majority" will always be infeasible.

The problem is that tone does matter somewhat. If you go up to men without intention of having an honest conversation, presuppose them as probably part of the problem, and then as definitely part of the problem once they start trying to get to grips with what you're saying, they are going to reject your message. It just isn't targeted enough, unfortunately, and doesn't go anywhere.

I'm conscious this is going a bit off topic though, since it was specifically about expectations about contraception and not just another "men are bad" thread.
I wouldn't expect a partner of mine to be on birth control. Were there a male pill, I would err towards taking it since I don't like condoms. (but of course preferable to a child)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Many people would disagree. I don't know any women that have been mistreated by the majority of men they have come across, and I've only encountered a handful of misogynistic men. I of course don't know what happens between them behind closed doors. But I feel "majority" will always be infeasible.

The problem is that tone does matter somewhat. If you go up to men without intention of having an honest conversation, presuppose them as probably part of the problem, and then as definitely part of the problem once they start trying to get to grips with what you're saying, they are going to reject your message. It just isn't targeted enough, unfortunately, and doesn't go anywhere.

I'm conscious this is going a bit off topic though, since it was specifically about expectations about contraception and not just another "men are bad" thread.

I just feel like unless you've experienced what it's like to be a woman in todays world and know the experiences that 97% of women in the UK have had, then all you can do as a man is listen to these women and use your privilege and your power to help rather than criticize and argue. I don't think it's your place to say that the term majority is "infeasible" when you haven't gone through what women have on a daily basis. That's all I have to say.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
poor guy he must not feel much, and how do you get into bed and then gotta put that thing on...kinda kills the flow

Feels better than a baby crying at 4am. :tongue:
Original post by ElleMai11
Then how do you avoid pregnancy?

Condoms, or the man can get birth control.

If he can't feel anything, he should get the birth control instead of making his partner.
Original post by Moonlight rain
make sure his pull out game is strong

Looks like sex education failed.
I just feel like unless you've experienced what it's like to be a woman in todays world and know the experiences that 97% of women in the UK have had, then all you can do as a man is listen to these women and use your privilege and your power to help rather than criticize and argue. I don't think it's your place to say that the term majority is "infeasible" when you haven't gone through what most women have. That's all I have to say.

I do listen to women - and what they've said does not align with "majority". All of them continue to willingly associate with at least some men. That's why I'd say it's infeasible. I don't think "majority" vs "large number" or even "many" is a large point to concede.

I criticise people who try to villainise the entire male gender, (I see no real difference between "all" and "most", the latter being essentially the former with sugar) not people who just talk about bad experiences with men. While these people have valid points, the valid points can be very easily lost if they are not targeted enough, as the problematic implications start to overtake what they have to say, [and ultimately as a man, I do not want to associate with women who have some sort of disgust for me because of my gender, just as I would hope anyone wouldn't associate with someone who harbours some disgust for them due to the way they were born] and they have to be challenged in some way. You can go too far with a good point and end up with a bad one. Admittedly, it's often hard to do, since arguing against any well-spirited message is always going to draw accusations that you oppose the spirit of the message.

I have no more political power than you do.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Noshot
Normal blokes?

You must know some real pond-dwelling, anti-intellectuals. Female birth control is incredibly well known by even the most stupid people.
I've seen a lot of men say that they'd want / expect their girlfriends to be on birth control - is this true? Can't you just use condoms?

I'm not on birth control (don't have a boyf rn), and don't plan on ever being on it, as it causes so many negative side effects. Will this effect a relationship?

condoms are only really meant to be used to prevent STD or STI, and not pregnancy. It’s recommended to use condoms in conjunction with female birth control such as the pill. Birth control can have a lot of benefits such as stopping heavy periods and improving acne.

Secondly, if you are getting into a monogamous relationship it is usual to not use condoms and only use birth control. As you are only having sex with the one person, there’s no risk of STI or STD if you have both tested negative.

Thirdly, condoms definitely hinder the feeling for sex for both people. Using a condom is less pleasurable for men, and condoms can irritate women’s privates.
Don't know why people just assume everyone who is on birth control is on it for sexual purposes. I take it for PCOS as my menstrual cycles are unbearable without it.
Original post by _gcx
I do listen to women - and what they've said does not align with "majority". All of them continue to willingly associate with at least some men. That's why I'd say it's infeasible. I don't think "majority" vs "large number" or even "many" is a large point to concede.

I criticise people who try to villainise the entire male gender, (I see no real difference between "all" and "most", the latter being essentially the former with sugar) not people who just talk about bad experiences with men. While these people have valid points, the valid points can be very easily lost if they are not targeted enough, as the problematic implications start to overtake what they have to say, [and ultimately as a man, I do not want to associate with women who have some sort of disgust for me because of my gender, just as I would hope anyone wouldn't associate with someone who harbours some disgust for them due to the way they were born] and they have to be challenged in some way. You can go too far with a good point and end up with a bad one. Admittedly, it's often hard to do, since arguing against any well-spirited message is always going to draw accusations that you oppose the spirit of the message.

I have no more political power than you do.

PRSOM.
They shouldn't need to be, it's completely the womans choice if they want to be on it or not. If they don't want a baby and birth control then they have every right to just not want to have sex, they don't it owe it to men to be on birth control and have sex with them.
condoms are only really meant to be used to prevent STD or STI, and not pregnancy. It’s recommended to use condoms in conjunction with female birth control such as the pill. Birth control can have a lot of benefits such as stopping heavy periods and improving acne.

Secondly, if you are getting into a monogamous relationship it is usual to not use condoms and only use birth control. As you are only having sex with the one person, there’s no risk of STI or STD if you have both tested negative.

Thirdly, condoms definitely hinder the feeling for sex for both people. Using a condom is less pleasurable for men, and condoms can irritate women’s privates.

Normalise male birth control then.
Original post by CoolCavy
Don't know why people just assume everyone who is on birth control is on it for sexual purposes. I take it for PCOS as my menstrual cycles are unbearable without it.

I know, I'm mainly referring to sexual purposes in this thread though as I mentioned relationships.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending