user1233567272
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m kinda panicking coz I have 3 weeks left til my UCAT and I’ve been doing little bits everyday but my timing is no where near where it needs to be…I know asking this question won’t change anything but do I have enough time? I’m thinking of maybe changing the date idk. I had to book it kinda early coz I’m going on holiday the week after I sit my UCAT so I didn’t want to be stressing about it right before I go away ah idk
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by user1233567272)
I’m kinda panicking coz I have 3 weeks left til my UCAT and I’ve been doing little bits everyday but my timing is no where near where it needs to be…I know asking this question won’t change anything but do I have enough time? I’m thinking of maybe changing the date idk. I had to book it kinda early coz I’m going on holiday the week after I sit my UCAT so I didn’t want to be stressing about it right before I go away ah idk
Lots of discussion on the UCAT thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864776
Medic Mind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there,

First of all, you're going to be absolutely fine if you spend the next few weeks devising a plan on how you're going to carry on preparing for the UCAT, so please don't worry!

If you don't feel confident taking the UCAT when it's three weeks away and you feel that you can perform much better with more practice, then I'd advise changing the date. You would only be stressing yourself out for the next three weeks and you might not be able to concentrate on your practice during the day, which is unproductive and might make you more panicked! Also, whilst you're on holiday, you might start thinking about how you did on the exam, which may lead to you regretting sitting it early.

I understand wanting to take it before going on holiday, but I would say that having a week off from UCAT practice to calm your mind, and then coming back to the practice a week later after taking a 'UCAT excursion' might actually be more beneficial than you think it is. If you're doing some practice right now and you're getting to grips with each section, then when you come back the week later you'll be able to get straight back into the practice again, with the added benefit of being less stressed because your exam would still be a few weeks ahead.

Alternatively, you could take the option of sitting the UCAT in three weeks. At the moment, which sections are you struggling with timing and how much practice are you doing per day? I'll be able to help with giving you some tips on how to improve your speed in the separate sections if you let me know what you're finding challenging . As you have mentioned, if it does make you feel much better on holiday if you take the exam in three weeks, then that would be the good option for you, and it is perfectly doable to get better at timing if you know the little hints and tips to speed up each section.

Let me know what you think and I'd be more than happy to help

Marimo Rossiter
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
user1233567272
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Medic Mind)
Hi there,

First of all, you're going to be absolutely fine if you spend the next few weeks devising a plan on how you're going to carry on preparing for the UCAT, so please don't worry!

If you don't feel confident taking the UCAT when it's three weeks away and you feel that you can perform much better with more practice, then I'd advise changing the date. You would only be stressing yourself out for the next three weeks and you might not be able to concentrate on your practice during the day, which is unproductive and might make you more panicked! Also, whilst you're on holiday, you might start thinking about how you did on the exam, which may lead to you regretting sitting it early.

I understand wanting to take it before going on holiday, but I would say that having a week off from UCAT practice to calm your mind, and then coming back to the practice a week later after taking a 'UCAT excursion' might actually be more beneficial than you think it is. If you're doing some practice right now and you're getting to grips with each section, then when you come back the week later you'll be able to get straight back into the practice again, with the added benefit of being less stressed because your exam would still be a few weeks ahead.

Alternatively, you could take the option of sitting the UCAT in three weeks. At the moment, which sections are you struggling with timing and how much practice are you doing per day? I'll be able to help with giving you some tips on how to improve your speed in the separate sections if you let me know what you're finding challenging . As you have mentioned, if it does make you feel much better on holiday if you take the exam in three weeks, then that would be the good option for you, and it is perfectly doable to get better at timing if you know the little hints and tips to speed up each section.

Let me know what you think and I'd be more than happy to help

Marimo Rossiter
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Hi! Thank you so much for the response that’s a good idea, I was thinking of going that and booking it after my holiday but I go away for 2 and a half weeks so I already miss a week of college because I go midway through august so I don’t really want to sit UCAT during college because then I won’t have time to be writing my personal statement and revise for my September mocks that go towards my predicted grades the things I’m struggling with the most is AR and QR, for AR I just can’t seem to find the patterns and when I do it takes me longer than I Should. And for QR I’m just really bad at maths. I’ve been spending around 2hours a day I would say but some days I won’t look at it at all so I feel like I am kind of behind? I
Medic Mind
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! Thank you so much for the response that’s a good idea, I was thinking of going that and booking it after my holiday but I go away for 2 and a half weeks so I already miss a week of college because I go midway through august so I don’t really want to sit UCAT during college because then I won’t have time to be writing my personal statement and revise for my September mocks that go towards my predicted grades the things I’m struggling with the most is AR and QR, for AR I just can’t seem to find the patterns and when I do it takes me longer than I Should. And for QR I’m just really bad at maths. I’ve been spending around 2hours a day I would say but some days I won’t look at it at all so I feel like I am kind of behind? I
Heya,

I'm glad you found it helpful! So is it that you go on holiday from mid-August for two and a half weeks, and your college starts in mid-August too?

For AR, have you made a list of the typical patterns that you come across? The more practice you do, the more you should realise that the test can only give you a finite number of patterns (and there will always be a pattern!), and that once you know what the typical patterns are, you'll be able to quickly figure out the answers to AR questions in the exam. Some of the typical patterns you'll come across are to do with: shape, position, orientation, number, colour, size. Lots of people use the SCANS pneumonic to identify the pattern, and it stands for: shape, colour/fill, arrangement/angles, number, symmetry. Referring back to this in your head when you attempt every question will help massively! We have a blog post where we go into detail about our 6 tips to master AR in the UCAT which is very useful to read, in my opinion!

For QR, you mentioned that you're struggling with the maths behind the questions - is that for all the different question topics in QR or for just a few? So for example, are you confident on questions that cover ratios, but less confident on questions that cover graphs? If you can identify your weak topics and attempt lots of UCAT questions on them - even attempt some GCSE-level questions on websites like Bitesize - then that'd improve your score QR greatly. In addition, how well do you think you are at solving questions using the calculator? Mastering the calculator can also help immensely, and spending an hour or so getting as fast as you can on the calculator can make you much more efficient at solving the questions. Like AR, we have a blog post where we go into detail about our 7 top tips to master QR, which again I'd say is very useful .

Let me know your thoughts on all of this, and if you have more questions then I'd be happy to answer them!

Marimo Rossiter
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
13.83%
I need help researching courses (8)
8.51%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.38%
I need help with my personal statement (38)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
24.47%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.26%

Watched Threads