SadMed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So we got our finals results today at the end of Y4, and I'm really struggling to process them

I've never done summative OSCEs before (was meant to have them at end of 3rd year but were cancelled bc of COVID). I knew some of them went not great but I ended up failing 3/15 stations and my best guess is I'm in 2nd decile from the bottom. I passed like 2/3 with really high marks and all the others look like borderlines tbh - I am so disappointed in myself and it's so hard for this not to be a huge confidence knock

I've always been comfortable and happy chatting to patients and have had plenty of comments from drs on placement in past about my 'easy/pleasant manner', so I don't think that was my issue (but the med school is refusing to give us our mark sheets back so I have no real way of knowing 🤷🏻*♀️)

I also know it's not from a lack of being 'book smart' as we also had a 3 hour written exam in MCQ format, which went really well and my mark was somehow the 10th highest in the year??

It makes me nervous for future exams that my OSCEs didn't go well, especially as I have no idea what to specifically improve on

I'm obviously really thrilled to have passed, and I know it could be much worse, but would appreciate any general advice on gaining back confidence!

Thanks so much in advance x
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SadMed)
So we got our finals results today at the end of Y4, and I'm really struggling to process them

I've never done summative OSCEs before (was meant to have them at end of 3rd year but were cancelled bc of COVID). I knew some of them went not great but I ended up failing 3/15 stations and my best guess is I'm in 2nd decile from the bottom. I passed like 2/3 with really high marks and all the others look like borderlines tbh - I am so disappointed in myself and it's so hard for this not to be a huge confidence knock

I've always been comfortable and happy chatting to patients and have had plenty of comments from drs on placement in past about my 'easy/pleasant manner', so I don't think that was my issue (but the med school is refusing to give us our mark sheets back so I have no real way of knowing 🤷🏻*♀️)

I also know it's not from a lack of being 'book smart' as we also had a 3 hour written exam in MCQ format, which went really well and my mark was somehow the 10th highest in the year??

It makes me nervous for future exams that my OSCEs didn't go well, especially as I have no idea what to specifically improve on

I'm obviously really thrilled to have passed, and I know it could be much worse, but would appreciate any general advice on gaining back confidence!

Thanks so much in advance x
Sorry your confidence has taken a knock. But well done for passing overall!

Frustrating that you can't get much feedback, but a large part of OSCEs is to do with how well you can put on the act, and not always a reflection of how good a doctor you will end up being. If you passed, try not to linger on what could have been, and move on to what you can learn and how to get the most of your final year. Doubt this will have much if any correlation with postgraduate exam performance.

Without actually knowing your decile, again try not to get too tied up in this. It may affect your EPM score for FPAS (though impossible for me to say how much as it depends on how your uni weight these things, and with your strong performance in the written paper that should bring you higher up) but your SJT will also play a role so no need for panic at the moment.

It sounds like you generally get on well on placement, so focus on what you can learn and improve this year. Your supervisors most likely won't know how your exams went, and your future bosses definitely won't, just prove yourself in how you act and what you can do with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.39%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.04%
I need help with my personal statement (56)
40.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.18%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.16%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.19%

Watched Threads