Kicked out of year 12 Sixth Form

Watch
hunter4024
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I’m just writing this message because there might be someone to help me in this situation.

It is currently July and I’ve been let known that I can’t proceed onto my Year 2 for Sixth form for one of my subjects, which is my main subject that I like and need for the future. I have been looking around for options and found; doing an apprenticeship or finding a new school and repeating this year, but I do not know if I would be let into a new school as it is the end of the year. However I haven’t looked too deeply into apprenticeships too much and think that it would be a decent option for me to take, but would I be able to go to university if I do an apprenticeship.

If anyone has any advice that could help it would be greatly appreciated, and you can ask any question needed.

Thanks
Studentlife04
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hunter4024)
Hi,

I’m just writing this message because there might be someone to help me in this situation.

It is currently July and I’ve been let known that I can’t proceed onto my Year 2 for Sixth form for one of my subjects, which is my main subject that I like and need for the future. I have been looking around for options and found; doing an apprenticeship or finding a new school and repeating this year, but I do not know if I would be let into a new school as it is the end of the year. However I haven’t looked too deeply into apprenticeships too much and think that it would be a decent option for me to take, but would I be able to go to university if I do an apprenticeship.

If anyone has any advice that could help it would be greatly appreciated, and you can ask any question needed.

Thanks
it depends what qualifications you get with it. what are you looking at doing?
_Ippo1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks
Hello,

I am also in a similar situation to you. I just finished year 12 studying a mixture of BTECs and A-levels. I have decided to retake year 12 at a different school. What A-levels are you doing and what do you plan on doing at uni if you are going?
Studentlife04
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Ippo1)
Hello,

I am also in a similar situation to you. I just finished year 12 studying a mixture of BTECs and A-levels. I have decided to retake year 12 at a different school. What A-levels are you doing and what do you plan on doing at uni if you are going?
hey, sorry to jump on to OP's thread but I am literally in the same position as you. I'm going to be resitting my year too
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks
If you don’t mind mate what subjects were they and was it due to ur grades u got kicked out?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks
Why aren't they letting you carry on? It's is not allowed to do this purely on academic grounds ...
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why aren't they letting you carry on? It's is not allowed to do this purely on academic grounds ...
That’s what I was thinking, is it allowed to kick out a good student who fails a mock?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
That’s what I was thinking, is it allowed to kick out a good student who fails a mock?
No it isn't -
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No it isn't -
According to who
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

Thanks
You could go to a sixth form collage not only will they probably let you in but they will have a much wider selection of courses than a school sixth form or you can also do a Btec or something instead of A levels if that suits you better.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to who
There was a huge court case about a school doing this and it was clarified to schools that they can only ask people to leave the Sixth Form for behaviour reasons.

https://www.teeslaw.com/insights/exc...ic-attainment/
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In response to the St Olave’s case, a Department for Education spokesperson said

“All schools have a responsibility to provide a high quality education to every pupil and ensure there is no limit to their potential. Students enrolled in a sixth form cannot be removed because of academic ability.

The law is clear on this and we expect all schools to follow it. We will be taking action to remind headteachers of their responsibility on this point.”
Ghostface6001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There was a huge court case about a school doing this and it was clarified to schools that they can only ask people to leave the Sixth Form for behaviour reasons.

https://www.teeslaw.com/insights/exc...ic-attainment/
Ah ok and can they make u switch a levels if ur not preforming as good
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah ok and can they make u switch a levels if ur not preforming as good
In what circumstance? If you fail every piece of work/test then you might be advised to change but they can't make you. The school is protecting its results ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.99%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.13%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
15.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads