Watch
This discussion is closed.
SpaceLover29
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
From the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ber-says-union

"University staff are demanding the full vaccination of all students by September and compulsory face masks on campus to stop the Delta variant from ripping through universities in the new academic year.

The University and College Union (UCU) has written to the education secretary, Gavin Williamson, warning that the Covid chaos seen in universities last year will be repeated unless strict measures are in place to protect staff and students.

The union wants all students to be double vaccinated before the start of term in September, with jabs made available to younger students in further education once approved by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation.

It is also calling on universities to “provide and mandate” the wearing of high-quality face masks by both staff and students, access to free PCR tests, and funding from the government to support education recovery."

What they want sounds reasonable at first glance, but when you think about it, it goes against what most universities are actually offering. The UCU wants us to all get vaccinated, wear face masks, and socially distance despite the fact we are already being forced to have lectures online. When will the UCU suddenly decide normal in-person events and teaching is safe again?

I have followed what the UCU has been saying throughout this pandemic and they have really annoyed me. Everything they have done has been for them, and I really doubt this is any different. They might pretend they care about things like mental health but their own demands have led to a decline in student mental health. They are so happy when students support their strikes but when we need their support to get a good education, they don't care at all. I know this isn't surprising for a University and College Union, but I just hope next time they decide to have a strike, they don't expect any student support.
Last edited by SpaceLover29; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it would be a good idea to vaccinate all university students by September, unless they have medical exemptions of course. The face masking idea though - no. It's no longer compulsory anywhere else including supermarkets and schools, so why should it be compulsory on campus?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Vaccines should not be compulsory to enter education voluntary or otherwise.

Face masks should be mandated indoors while on campus certainly not outdoors because that flies in the face of logic and science.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Face masks should be mandated indoors while on campus certainly not outdoors because that flies in the face of logic and science.
But they're not mandated in most other places any more - advised maybe but not mandated, so why univesities and not school buildings?

Agree with you about outdoors, cannot believe the number of people you still see wearing masks outdoors even in this hot weather :confused:
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Vaccines should not be compulsory to enter education voluntary or otherwise.

Why not require vaccinations?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
But they're not mandated in most other places any more - advised maybe but not mandated, so why univesities and not school buildings?

Agree with you about outdoors, cannot believe the number of people you still see wearing masks outdoors even in this hot weather :confused:
They are mandated in most shops and on public transport, they are a sensible precaution and fairly unobtrusive.

There was never a need to use them outdoors but the public campaign for masks has been astonishingly successful.

(Original post by ajj2000)
Why not require vaccinations?
Because it should either be for all services or none, this push for only requiring vaccinations for predominantly young person oriented sites is discriminatory.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are mandated in most shops and on public transport, they are a sensible precaution and fairly unobtrusive.
Not all public transport - some are only urging people to wear them when it's busy. And I have seen plenty of maskless people in Waitrose and M&S already as the sign on the door is advisory rather than mandatory.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Interesting to note that the UCU is not calling for vaccines to be mandatory for all university staff, I guess that would infringe on their rights but to do the same to students is perfectly acceptable. I bet they would up in arms if that could face losing their jobs if they refused to be vaccinated.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Not all public transport - some are only urging people to wear them when it's busy. And I have seen plenty of maskless people in Waitrose and M&S already as the sign on the door is advisory rather than mandatory.
Mask use is mandated without being mandatory, this is why I never used the word "mandatory".
&respect
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
why would you want to mandate a jab. where tf is the free will at? some people may not want to take it. and its none of our business whether they take it or not. tbh even if you get the jab you still can catch covid so I don't understand where your logic is at? it would make more sense to mandate a face mask on site. (I'm not asking for a fight so don't fight me lol)
Last edited by &respect; 1 month ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh they're probably trying to maximise the number of in person lectures and tutorials which is something I think a lot of students would probably want if you asked them.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
Tbh they're probably trying to maximise the number of in person lectures and tutorials which is something I think a lot of students would probably want if you asked them.
I highly doubt that is the UCU's aim. Throughout the entire pandemic, they have been demanding all classes to be online.
Last edited by SpaceLover29; 1 month ago
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't anyone find this a little concerning?

I don't know how much weight these demands actually hold, however there seems to more and more things that unvaccinated people may potentially be prevented from doing.

Is this actually a necessary or proportionate course of action to take? Are the numbers of vaccine hesitant students that high?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by glassalice)

I don't know how much weight these demands actually hold, however there seems to more and more things that unvaccinated people may potentially be prevented from doing.

Is this actually a necessary or proportionate course of action to take? Are the numbers of vaccine hesitant students that high?
According to the vaccine take up stats posted yesterday measured against UK population roughly 56% of the 18-24 cohort have had their first dose.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
?
(Original post by glassalice)

The thing that bothers me most is that the things that are planned to require a vaccine are all things that are geared towards younger people (e.g. night clubs). Adding universities into the mix will just make things even worse and make it seem like it is unvaccinated people that are the issue, but rather YOUNG unvaccinated people.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mask use is mandated without being mandatory, this is why I never used the word "mandatory".
Well it’s not compulsory it’s advisory which is what I think it should be on campus also :dontknow:
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 month ago
SBROOKS88
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
According to science, and to avoid further variants of concern that could evade vaccines as well as head into further lockdowns I agree that ALL university students should be double jabbed and social distance, otherwise we will have a deja vu scenario of last autumn unfortunately. If people just would wake up a bit, and see how important getting jabbed is! Unless you are medically exempt, it should be mandatory, or no face to face teaching full stop.
SpaceLover29
Rep:
?
(Original post by SBROOKS88)
According to science, and to avoid further variants of concern that could evade vaccines as well as head into further lockdowns I agree that ALL university students should be double jabbed and social distance, otherwise we will have a deja vu scenario of last autumn unfortunately. If people just would wake up a bit, and see how important getting jabbed is! Unless you are medically exempt, it should be mandatory, or no face to face teaching full stop.
The thing is that there will always be variants, especially considering the rest of the world exists. It is a bit pointless to be so worried about varients.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SBROOKS88)
Would you support baring university staff from employment if they do not have the vaccine or medical exemption?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SpaceLover29)
The thing is that there will always be variants, especially considering the rest of the world exists. It is a bit pointless to be so worried about varients.
Yup there are probably hundreds of variants- we can’t be afraid forever to return to some kind of normality
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads