mh1603
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I got a B at A-level, took a gap year after that and now have gotten into Bristol for languages, but I'm just worried that I won't be smart enough/ good enough to do the degree as I still make so many mistakes with German especially through speaking and didn't get an A at A-level. I wonder if anyone else has felt like this/ is doing a language degree? Have you improved at uni?
thanks
SirNoodles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
To be brutally honest most British people I've come across who have done languages at A-Level cannot really speak the language anyway. They make a lot of mistakes and struggle to understand/produce the language especially in colloquial contexts.

However, this isn't meant to sound negative but instead show you that it doesn't matter if your German isn't perfect just yet You're going to university to learn a new skill and expand your knowledge in German so it's okay if you're German isn't perfect going into uni. You'll have 4 years of intensive classes to work on that. After all, what's the point of going to uni to study something you're already an expert on?

The one piece of advice that is always very important during a language degree and probably even more so than in other degrees is that you have to put as much extra work in as possible outside of your classes. You have to immerse yourself in the language and make sure you're practising your German everyday whether it be reading German books, talking to German-speakers etc. If you do this on top of your university work then your German will come on loads!

Good luck with your language studies
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SirNoodles)
To be brutally honest most British people I've come across who have done languages at A-Level cannot really speak the language anyway. They make a lot of mistakes and struggle to understand/produce the language especially in colloquial contexts.
What a very sweeping and patronising thing to say! I don't think the linguists I was friends with at Cambridge and who'd done A level languages before studying there 'made a lot of mistakes and struggle(d) to understand and produce the language'!
SirNoodles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
What a very sweeping and patronising thing to say! I don't think the linguists I was friends with at Cambridge and who'd done A level languages before studying there 'made a lot of mistakes and struggle(d) to understand and produce the language'!
I never asserted it as a fact that applies for every language student in the UK nor did I say it was a bad thing (I actually stated the opposite in my post). It's just my personal experience and I was just being 100% honest as the average 18 year old British language student doesn't even come close to the ability of the average 18 year old Dutch student (studying English, of course). Of course, Cambridge is a different kettle of fish, though.
Last edited by SirNoodles; 2 months ago
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
An A-level will not give you proficiency in a language, no matter how many prestigious universities you get into. People who get into Cambridge might be above average at their language skills, but they will still make mistakes and still won’t be that great at speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the language. That’s why they’re going to study it at university. If they were so fluent beforehand then they wouldn’t have bothered spending £9k a year to be taught a language they apparently already know…
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.46%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.13%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.13%
I need help with my personal statement (66)
42.31%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (38)
24.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.92%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.69%

Watched Threads