quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, am hoping for a university to answer this but essentially I have been wanting to do a postgrad clinical pharmacy qualification for a while however I have kept running into stumbling blocks, be it till 2 years ago locums were not eligible and, due to shielding from COVID from march last year to April this year and being forbidden from working in community/hospital/in person in general practice, courtesy of DHSC COVID guidance, currently it seems I am ineligible due to the fact that I am working in a non-patient facing role (despite the fact I am working in Healthcare!) .

My question is, are there any courses where I can gain a postgrad clinical qualification without having direct face-to-face contact with patients.

Also for those who have completed the course at any university, how is the structure like regarding assessments / course content, are you required to record anything at work / be assessed at work?
Last edited by quasa; 1 month ago
Claremont4ever
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was once a student on the University of Sunderland part-time MSc Clinical Pharmacy with prescribing course, but I had to drop out because I just couldn't combine the intense nature of the course with my job as a community pharmacist. If I remember correctly, the assessments are mainly written reflections based on practice experience at work. I don't recall there being an entry requirement of direct face-to-face contact with patients, you only need to be a registered and employed pharmacist to apply.
ChillBear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quasa)
Hi, am hoping for a university to answer this but essentially I have been wanting to do a postgrad clinical pharmacy qualification for a while however I have kept running into stumbling blocks, be it till 2 years ago locums were not eligible and, due to shielding from COVID from march last year to April this year and being forbidden from working in community/hospital/in person in general practice, courtesy of DHSC COVID guidance, currently it seems I am ineligible due to the fact that I am working in a non-patient facing role (despite the fact I am working in Healthcare!) .

My question is, are there any courses where I can gain a postgrad clinical qualification without having direct face-to-face contact with patients.

Also for those who have completed the course at any university, how is the structure like regarding assessments / course content, are you required to record anything at work / be assessed at work?
I can't speak for the clinical pharmacy diploma as I skipped it entirely and went for independent prescribing, but from what I gather it's a less challenging degree and includes more theory?

I completed my independent prescribing at Queen's University Belfast which prior to the pandemic was one of two universities that ran the course almost completely online (the other being Robert Gordon's University). The only face to face we had was a week long residential period.

You can definitely finish the course while working in pharmacy, as I did, but you'll need to do a lot of your work experience in practice as evidence for your portfolio. Chances are this will include f2f patient contact.

The only assessments were OSCEs on the residential week and the portfolio we handed in at the end of the course. We also had monthly case studies to do that were graded. It was manageable working full time as well though since the course was mostly online and you worked at it in your own time.
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ChillBear)
I can't speak for the clinical pharmacy diploma as I skipped it entirely and went for independent prescribing, but from what I gather it's a less challenging degree and includes more theory?

I completed my independent prescribing at Queen's University Belfast which prior to the pandemic was one of two universities that ran the course almost completely online (the other being Robert Gordon's University). The only face to face we had was a week long residential period.

You can definitely finish the course while working in pharmacy, as I did, but you'll need to do a lot of your work experience in practice as evidence for your portfolio. Chances are this will include f2f patient contact.

The only assessments were OSCEs on the residential week and the portfolio we handed in at the end of the course. We also had monthly case studies to do that were graded. It was manageable working full time as well though since the course was mostly online and you worked at it in your own time.
I know, tis tricky finding a dmp / dpp. To get one these days for just 2 weeks experience costs as muxh as the frigging IP couese itself
ChillBear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quasa)
I know, tis tricky finding a dmp / dpp. To get one these days for just 2 weeks experience costs as muxh as the frigging IP couese itself
Do you have local surgeries you're in contact with or on good terms with?

I approached the one next door to my pharmacy and laid out what I planned to do. They didn't really know a lot about the course or what it could mean for the practice but they were really helpful. They offered a DPP to get my 90 hours of work experience, I mostly shadowed them and had some hypertension clinics I used for my portfolio. Then they offered me a job!

Might be good to approach a few surgeries, especially those lacking a pharmacist.

Edit: By the way DPPs should not charge anything. It's stipulated somewhere in the regulations that DPPs should not take any form of payment, though under hand exchanges could always happen.
Last edited by ChillBear; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.36%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.72%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.32%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.72%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.48%

Watched Threads