Can a woman's height really be that off-putting?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 5'10. A lot of times when I meet guys they make a reference to my height. I just met up with a guy from a dating app (where I had my height listed) and the first thing he said was "You're taller than I thought you would be". He didn't say it in a positive way. Bare in mind he's taller than me at 6'2 so I don't know why it was an issue. Now he's ghosted and not replying to my messages (I don't look different to my pics btw).

I really don't get it. My height gets frequently brought up by men and I don't know why it's a big deal. They act like I'm some 6'5 alien. I see plenty of tall girls coupled up. I'm fine with my height but I'm tired of men trying to make me feel bad about it.

Is it really that deep for some men?
IrrelevantName03
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Couldn't care less about height personally; I'm 5'8 and have liked women that are 5'2 and 5'11.
GyrosUberAlles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mypwnsupport)
Couldn't care less about height personally; I'm 5'8 and have liked women that are 5'2 and 5'11.
This.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It's so silly and outdated, men preferring women to just always be petite and small
5'10 is certainly not outrageously tall, isn't Taylor swift that height it looks very elegant

Don't bother with guys who feel so easily emasculated, if they don't read your profile properly anyway that's their problem
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

oh it’s deep alright....

the guy probably just has a preference for shorter girls, nothing wrong with that.

5’10 is tall for a girl. Statistics prove this, to argue otherwise, you’d be a fool.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My eyes don't pull out a ruler measuring a girl's height if I find them attractive. So, it's not something I care about too much.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by urlocalinmate)
My eyes don't pull out a ruler measuring a girl's height if I find them attractive. So, it's not something I care about too much.

Tbh, you can notice a tall girl when you see one.
PotatoFruit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your height is not a problem for me, but maybe that’s cause I’m 6’2
urlocalinmate
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Tbh, you can notice a tall girl when you see one.
Yeah, one of my teacher is 5'11.5" and is probably way too tall for me, I'm 5 inches shorter. I'll take my words back.
kayinda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you wear heels as well? You should make it clear on your profile that you really are 5ft10 and are very tall. If someone isn't attracted to something about you, you can't blame them for it. Height can be a major thing for men and women, women often like tall guys that protect them and guys usually want shorter girls that can make them feel they are big strong protective man. Sometimes they like a noticeable difference in height not just a couple of inches, but like half a foot difference.
volka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't see how this is any different to a woman being put off by a man's height if he is not tall enough by her standards...
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm 5'10. A lot of times when I meet guys they make a reference to my height. I just met up with a guy from a dating app (where I had my height listed) and the first thing he said was "You're taller than I thought you would be". He didn't say it in a positive way. Bare in mind he's taller than me at 6'2 so I don't know why it was an issue. Now he's ghosted and not replying to my messages (I don't look different to my pics btw).

I really don't get it. My height gets frequently brought up by men and I don't know why it's a big deal. They act like I'm some 6'5 alien. I see plenty of tall girls coupled up. I'm fine with my height but I'm tired of men trying to make me feel bad about it.

maybe - but they will not be the right men for you.

I am 5'10. My husband is 5'7. Neither of us care about our heights - it is simply irrelevant.
Keep looking and you will find someone who is not bothered by your height in some weird/insecure way.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by volka)
I don't see how this is any different to a woman being put off by a man's height if he is not tall enough by her standards...

someone finally said it.

there we go....
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by volka)
but she put her height on the profile - he either didn't bother to read it or thought she was lying.
Anonbro1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is quite possible that some men feel insecure when they are shorter than their partner.
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
but she put her height on the profile - he either didn't bother to read it or thought she was lying.

he probably didn’t know how tall that was.
ReadingMum
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
he probably didn’t know how tall that was.
It is pretty basic maths if he knows he is 6'2
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
It is pretty basic maths if he knows he is 6'2

fair point.

I do know people who guess their heights though...
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, as an exceptionally tall person I find that short women are genuinely painful to have intimate relationships with due to the height difference of well over a foot in many cases. All that leaning down is really not good for one's back.
void*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's so silly and outdated, men preferring women to just always be petite and small
5'10 is certainly not outrageously tall, isn't Taylor swift that height it looks very elegant

Don't bother with guys who feel so easily emasculated, if they don't read your profile properly anyway that's their problem
Why can't men prefer women who are petite when a lot of women prefer men who are taller than them? People can't help their physical preferences so I don't think it is fair to dismiss them as silly just because you can't relate to them. I agree that the OP's date was insensitive though by voicing it and yes, he should have read her profile properly.

Perhaps these guys feel easily emasculated because of the stigma that society attaches to men not acting in a masculine way?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads