emiieeeeee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am considering Biology at Oxford and have been predicted 3 A*s however my I don't think that my GCSE grades are particularly strong ( 2 x6s, 6x 7s and 1 x8). However these were achieved when GCSEs were cancelled. Do you think that they are high enough for oxford?
Thanks for your help
DeBeauvoir2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check out FOIs, and though I do not know specifically about this course I would say they aren't high enough for oxford without significant extenuating circumstances (I think around 8 A* rings a bell). I would recommend looking into Cambridge instead, who put less emphasis on GCSEs.
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't seen any offer stats from last year's assessed GCSEs, so here's a FoI from the 2017 intake. It says the *average* number of GCSE A*s was 8. But your A Level predictions are above average (offer ave = 1.8 A*s).
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._information_2

The previous year, 34 applicants with one A* or fewer at GCSE level were interviewed (excluding applicants who hadn't done any GCSEs) . Of these, 9 got an offer. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...admission_st_2

The other caveat is that these years were prior to the restructuring of the Oxford course - there's now an optional MBiol year, as you probably know, but I have no idea whteher that's altered the way they assess applications. Predicting whether someone will get into Oxbridge is always a guessing game. Most applicants to either don't get in anyway. The most important thing is to apply to whichever course and city feels like the best fit for you. The happier you are, the better the whole experience - and the easier it is to fulfil your potential.
Last edited by OxFossil; 1 month ago
emiieeeeee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by DeBeauvoir2)
Check out FOIs, and though I do not know specifically about this course I would say they aren't high enough for oxford without significant extenuating circumstances (I think around 8 A* rings a bell). I would recommend looking into Cambridge instead, who put less emphasis on GCSEs.
Thank you very much for your reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads