i can't help but feel like my doctor is experimenting on me

Watch
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
yesterday he prescribed me the same antidepressant that gave me some really messed up side effects a couple weeks ago. not only that, it's a higher dose this time (double). he thinks the antidepressant wasn't the cause of my issue at all (i disagree but he won't listen). my boyfriend agrees with him instead of being supportive because he feels that this particular a/d is the most helpful of all the ones i've tried in terms of improving my mood. idk, maybe. not sure.

i'm worried that the same thing will happen again. i need a second opinion on this. am i being paranoid? is my shrink's behaviour unusual, like does it sound like he's just playing with me health? or do doctors sometimes prescribe the same stuff, despite side effects? i don't really want to see a different doctor because he prescribes me benzos/hypnotics whenever i need them, and not all doctors like to prescribe them long term
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would trust the prescribing expert, they understand pharmacology far better than you or I.
When I moved from a GP to a psychiatrist, she tripled my dose of antidepressants.

Take your drugs and keep a note of any side effects as and when they occur.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I would trust the prescribing expert, they understand pharmacology far better than you or I.
When I moved from a GP to a psychiatrist, she tripled my dose of antidepressants.

Take your drugs and keep a note of any side effects as and when they occur.
maybe you're right. maybe i'm just being too paranoid
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
It is normal to have apprehension when taking anything that you think is giving you side effects.
Foxehh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of prescriptions are 'experimenting' like that in the sense of finding what medication and dose is right for you. Hes not playing with your health just for the sake of it.
Last edited by Foxehh; 1 month ago
GyrosUberAlles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Drugs are experimental anyway, no one can tell of the effects before an individual actually takes them. And nobody in here is trained (including you I'd assume) in pharmacology to know what symptoms are due to the medication itself or due to other factors.

Keep in touch with your psych and if you're not happy, see someone else. But don't make changes or experiments yourself without anyone to hold accountable for their effects.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
It is normal to have apprehension when taking anything that you think is giving you side effects.
yeah : <
(Original post by Foxehh)
A lot of prescriptions are 'experimenting' like that in the sense of finding what medication and dose is right for you. Hes not playing with your health just for the sake of it.
well, i'm sure that are a lot of psychos in that profession so you never really know? but i know what you mean, i guess it's not a likely scenario
(Original post by GyrosUberAlles)
Drugs are experimental anyway, no one can tell of the effects before an individual actually takes them. And nobody in here is trained (including you I'd assume) in pharmacology to know what symptoms are due to the medication itself or due to other factors.

Keep in touch with your psych and if you're not happy, see someone else. But don't make changes or experiments yourself without anyone to hold accountable for their effects.
yeah i guess i'll stick with his advice for now and see what happens
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
yesterday he prescribed me the same antidepressant that gave me some really messed up side effects a couple weeks ago. not only that, it's a higher dose this time (double). he thinks the antidepressant wasn't the cause of my issue at all (i disagree but he won't listen). my boyfriend agrees with him instead of being supportive because he feels that this particular a/d is the most helpful of all the ones i've tried in terms of improving my mood. idk, maybe. not sure.

i'm worried that the same thing will happen again. i need a second opinion on this. am i being paranoid? is my shrink's behaviour unusual, like does it sound like he's just playing with me health? or do doctors sometimes prescribe the same stuff, despite side effects? i don't really want to see a different doctor because he prescribes me benzos/hypnotics whenever i need them, and not all doctors like to prescribe them long term
How did you convince him to prescribe you benzos? Are you in the UK? Thanks.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
How did you convince him to prescribe you benzos? Are you in the UK? Thanks.
i just tell him about my anxiety issues, and sleep issues? tbh it's also prob because he charges a lot (he's a private doctor). and yeah, i'm in the uk
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
i just tell him about my anxiety issues, and sleep issues? tbh it's also prob because he charges a lot (he's a private doctor). and yeah, i'm in the uk
For anxiety issues don't they try wean you off benzos tell you how bad it is blah blah and then put you on antidepressants? That's what my GP did. Are private psychs more okay with prescribing them?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
For anxiety issues don't they try wean you off benzos tell you how bad it is blah blah and then put you on antidepressants? That's what my GP did. Are private psychs more okay with prescribing them?
nah. he knows i need them. i haven't had any issues with him and i've been his patient for a couple years now. of course, officially he just wants me to take them 'as needed' so not every day but i usually have to take them several times a week tbh.
and yeah i guess. that's my experience anyway. gp doctors never prescribe **** tbh. also i find that young doctors are usually more willing to prescribe benzos, not sure why
Last edited by Ciel.; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
nah. he knows i need them. i haven't had any issues with him and i've been his patient for a couple years now. of course, officially he just wants me to take them 'as needed' so not every day but i usually have to take them several times a week tbh.
and yeah i guess. that's my experience anyway. gp doctors never prescribe **** tbh. also i find that young doctors are usually more willing to prescribe benzos, not sure why
Does your private psychiatry service have a website I can check out?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
yeah but i don't want to share it, sorry (for privacy reasons). maybe look at google reviews, before deciding to book any appts, sometimes they can be helpful
GyrosUberAlles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
r u trying to score benzos...?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
yeah but i don't want to share it, sorry (for privacy reasons). maybe look at google reviews, before deciding to book any appts, sometimes they can be helpful
No worries. Feel free to PM, I won't share with anyone. If not, that's fine. Currently I'm looking at https://psychiatry-uk.com - I've used them in the past, but missed the interview.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GyrosUberAlles)
r u trying to score benzos...?
No. I can get them at anytime. Getting them is not the problem. I'm looking for someone who can understand my situation and more qualified than a GP. I've been waiting almost a year to get a psychiatrist assigned, but understandably the NHS are busy with other things. So I'm considering going private.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Ciel.
Rep:
?
No worries. Feel free to PM, I won't share with anyone. If not, that's fine. Currently I'm looking at https://psychiatry-uk.com - I've used them in the past, but missed the interview.
no offence but i don't want to share it, considering it obviously has the clinic's address and everything. good luck with your search tho

No. I can get them at anytime. Getting them is not the problem. I'm looking for someone who can understand my situation and more qualified than a GP. I've been waiting almost a year to get a psychiatrist assigned, but understandably the NHS are busy with other things. So I'm considering going private.
if you can afford it then definitely go for it. they actually act like they care, unlike many nhs doctors
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
no offence but i don't want to share it, considering it obviously has the clinic's address and everything. good luck with your search tho

if you can afford it then definitely go for it. they actually act like they care, unlike many nhs doctors
Ohh right. Sorry, I thought it was like an online clinic with video meetings and electronic prescriptions, not a physical one. Alright fair enough.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Ohh right. Sorry, I thought it was like an online clinic with video meetings and electronic prescriptions, not a physical one. Alright fair enough.
be careful with clinics that offer only video meetings. some of them aren't even allowed to prescribe benzos or strong painkillers online
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Psychiatry involves a lot of "experimentation". I took 9 antidepressants before finding one that worked for me. Similarly there was a lot of antipsychotic experimentation. I would give it a try and see what happens, it might help, it might not but at least you'll know if you try.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
12.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
39.66%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.24%

Watched Threads