Bakugo27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
a sailing dinghy is blown across an estuary by a northerly wind exerting a force of 2500. At the same time, a water current acts on the dinghy with a force of 1000N in a westerly direction. What is the resultant force acting on the dingy?
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bakugo27)
a sailing dinghy is blown across an estuary by a northerly wind exerting a force of 2500. At the same time, a water current acts on the dinghy with a force of 1000N in a westerly direction. What is the resultant force acting on the dingy?
Do you know how to add vectors?
If 'no' you are missing the theory component for this.

If 'yes'
You have 2 forces acting on an object and are given the magnitude of both and the fact that they are acting in two directions at right angles, North/south and east/west. Draw the vector diagram. Pythagoras is your friend here.
Bakugo27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
Do you know how to add vectors?
If 'no' you are missing the theory component for this.

If 'yes'
You have 2 forces acting on an object and are given the magnitude of both and the fact that they are acting in two directions at right angles, North/south and east/west. Draw the vector diagram. Pythagoras is your friend here.
i got the answer 2639N which is correct but I don't understand why the angle is 338 degrees and not 22 degrees
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bakugo27)
i got the answer 2639N which is correct but I don't understand why the angle is 338 degrees and not 22 degrees
It's just a matter of where you measure the angle from. You are correct so long as you are clear where the angle is. What line you are measuring it to.
In directions where you talk about north/south/east/west - it's usual to measure an angle (called a bearing) clockwise round the circle starting in the northerly direction.
So your angle of 22 degs is to the west of north. If you start at north and go round clockwise, you go 338 degrees.
That's what's happened here.
Last edited by Stonebridge; 1 month ago
Bakugo27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
It's just a matter of where you measure the angle from. You are correct so long as you are clear where the angle is. What line you are measuring it to.
In directions where you talk about north/south/east/west - it's usual to measure an angle (called a bearing) clockwise round the circle starting in the northerly direction.
So your angle of 22 degs is to the west of north. If you start at north and go round clockwise, you go 338 degrees.
That's what's happened here.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.23%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
12.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (9)
14.52%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
40.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
17.74%

Watched Threads